Rgc Ratings

MalachiMcMullen

6 hours ago, matek said:

wow that's a very hard Iron

That one was marked as out of tolerance I believe. There should be a slash through the Fe. It was slated to be taken apart and the handles reused but then @dubyagrip hit me up looking for that exact thing for a client.  It pays to be training with Jay! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, stranger said:

@Cannon made a few grippers for a Tribute to Warren Tetting. (i think)  Basically pinned Standards with big bevels . No stamps on the bottom. 

Heres me closing the 156 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CpiAvSoAfDS/?igsh=enRvbGVnZ3UxaXF1

Ugh, just one more thing I wish I didn’t know existed. 

• Haha 6

47 minutes ago, Cannon said:

That one was marked as out of tolerance I believe. There should be a slash through the Fe. It was slated to be taken apart and the handles reused but then @dubyagrip hit me up looking for that exact thing for a client.  It pays to be training with Jay! 

Yes, that is correct 😊 

Just curious, why is it that you were going to dismantle it? Is it that you don’t want iron to rate that high or the spread is to wide?

I love this thing by the way so thank you!

IMG_5511.jpeg

Edited by CruxGripman
Old man typos
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, CruxGripman said:

Yes, that is correct 😊 

Just curious, why is it that you were going to dismantle it? Is it that you don’t want iron to rate that high or the spread is to wide?

IMG_5511.jpeg

Can’t speak for @Cannon, but I feel like the spirit of Standard (apart from Ni) has always been covering very specific ranges with very tight tolerances. 

• Like 1

I forgot to put "not for sale" on my post I guess, 🤣

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, CruxGripman said:

Yes, that is correct 😊 

IMG_5511.jpeg

I have one of those too it was 158. I filed it

Screenshot_20240426_114321_Gallery.jpg

• Haha 1

Just now, C8Myotome said:

I have one of those too it was 158. I filed it

Screenshot_20240426_114321_Gallery.jpg

Woah, 158 is pretty wild for an iron

• Like 1

On 4/25/2024 at 11:37 AM, kurtwpg said:

You've got some Left Turns there, what do you think of them?

It's definitely more comfortable to close them left handed, but I'm not sure they are "must haves".  Pretty sure I have a T,1 & 3 in left turns, I havent closed the 3 yet (LH)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, liftyzig said:

It's definitely more comfortable to close them left handed, but I'm not sure they are "must haves".  Pretty sure I have a T,1 & 3 in left turns, I havent closed the 3 yet (LH)

Thanks, that's probably exactly what I needed to hear after placing an order where I went with Standard instead of Left Turn. If a mule kicks me in the head and I somehow decide I need even more grippers, Left Turn might go back into consideration.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruxGripman said:

Woah, 158 is pretty wild for an iron

A little bit of history that might clear up some of this. Back in 2022, we received an entire shipment of Fe springs where the specifications were wrong and all of them were way too wide to be made into Fe grippers. The way we realized it was when Tom assembled a bunch of inventory and I started rating them and the numbers were way off. So those Fe grippers that were already glued together were sold as “errors” like what Derek has. Remember, Tom was 1st gen and glued handles.

So then we had to figure out what to do with the springs and we purposefully used some of them to make the Tetting Tributes. That is like the gripper stranger is talking about. They had pinned handles, rather large bevels, no stamps, and were a limited edition. Tom also made those and was not very efficient with pinning the handles so the expense was higher. 

Then Tom passed away and we had to find a new production shop for standard. Since the middle of 2023, we have used the same wide springs to make Nickel with the pinned handles. That gripper of Derek‘s is basically a first generation Nickel with glued handles before we called the gripper Nickel. :) 

• Like 7