Irish Strength

MalachiMcMullen

You definitely have a good base Zach. However, the reason you can't bend anything big is probably because you don't have proper DO form. When I first started I had pretty good weightlifting numbers but I couldn't even bend a 3/16" square DO. You just need proper coaching and once your form is dialed in you'll make amazing gains very fast. There's some amazing benders at BBB so just ask for some help and I'm sure they'd be happy to.

Yep, I figured that more than anything it's my form and I know I'll get some good tips and advice given the field and heck, I'm sure my dad would enjoy learning to bend too! I can muscle my way into some 1/4x7 but I only warp it :dry so learning to bend will(to me) be worth way more than the 6hr drive and waking up at 5 :happy

Deadlifts!!! Unfortunately I wasn't really feeling strong today, I went much earlier than usual, hadn't eaten blah blah blah, I have a bunch of excuses but they're just that, EXCUSES!

DB cleans(no legs)

75x3

Clean pulls

215x4

Deadlifts!!!

285x2 DO

335x0 DO, to the knees I switched to mixed grip after this

335x3(let the bar come to a dead stop, was never strong enough for that before so a small PR)

355x0(hovered about 2")

305x2 DO

Clean pulls

215x5

235x5

255x4

215x3

Good mornings(I have to clean these up, press it and set it down on my back and then reverse that to get it off)

145x5

145x5

Weighted side bends

75x10(each side)

75x10

Grippers for the first time in a great while and I can tell my strength has really dropped :(

#1x5 no set reps

Levering with the 8 sledge

Now for the real workout

2.5xnegative

#2xnegative

#3xnegative RH

2.5xnegative LH

2.5xnegative(inverted LH held at parallel)

#2x2 negatives held from 3/8ish

1.5x3 parallel reps RH and 0 LH(those negatives blew my hands up!)

#1x11 parallel reps RH and 7 LH

#1x1 no set attempt(my #1 is filed and both attempts missed by that margin)

#1x3 CCS reps RH and 2 LH

Really discouraging session today. I'll be happy if I can close the #2 MMS LH at the BBB and at least get down to 1/4" or less on the 2.5 like I was a week ago. I have no idea why but the last month my gripper strength has dropped severly, I'd say I dropped from around 2.5 max gripper strength to 2.1 or 2.2 tops, and that last week off really hasn't helped. My closing strength is my real weakness, hopefully I'll build that back up quick.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

Might as well add that I did some more levering with the 8 and 10er, some ring and pinky Trainer closes, #1 and 1.5 holds beyond parallel with the ring and pinky and #1 and 1.5 closes with my index/middle fingers.

Finally got a good hose clamp from an auto parts store! I choked my #2 and 2.5 to parallel and got a couple of closes both hands and inverted, the 2.5 however evaded me for tonight. Had some solid closes with the LH as well which never happens because I am terrible at setting grippers with my RH so it's mostly hit & miss. It'll also be useful since I plan on competing in the Gripmas Carol :happy

Felt good so I got around to some bending today, I'm still far from good at it but I think I made an improvement today. I warmed up with two pieces of 3/16x6 I have left from my beginners bag and went to the 1/4x? bolts that say "BBB" on the top, very easy and again the kink was the hardest part, the rest fell through and I bent two in 1 minute. I can really tell my hands haven't bent in awhile because after just those 4 bends the top of my LH thumb is stinging and my RH thumb pad is aching real bad. I decided I'd try some 1/4x7 next, kinked it and I'm sure I could've gotten farther if not all the way past my sticking point(180-160ish) if I pushed through the pain in my RH thumb but since I'm a big baby and haven't gone to the gym yet I decided I wouldn't.

BTW, it will be great to use some actual bending pads at the BBB. Right now I use old socks that really cushon the force I put into the bend :blush

Did a very different workout than usual today. No real lifts involved and higher reps.

Wide grip chins

BWx10

BWx5(with my index/middle fingers)

BWx8

Bent over rows

125x10

145x10

165x5

125x10

Lat pulldowns

100x10

120x10

100x10

(I actually did more of these but I don't remember the weights or reps)

DB rows

75x10

75x10

Machine Rows

140x10

200x10

120x10

Reverse Pec Deck

100x10

110x11

120x10

Dips

BWx20

BWx20

and a quick levering exhibition for my grandma when I got home :) I levered my 10er to my face 2 RH and 1 LH got stuck halfway up, rear levered my 8 for 3 reps BH(my hand was about 6" from the end)

Good session! Those wide chins are tough, to do 10 is strong! :bow

Thanks Pete! It actually didn't take me too long to get 10 straight reps but it is tough! I'm hoping to work towards a middle finger chin then perhaps some of the crazy stuff Brad Johnson does... perhaps.

Good session! Those wide chins are tough, to do 10 is strong! :bow

Thanks Pete! It actually didn't take me too long to get 10 straight reps but it is tough! I'm hoping to work towards a middle finger chin then perhaps some of the crazy stuff Brad Johnson does... perhaps.

You know i can do a middle finger chin, but can't do more than about 5 wide chins. The middle finger chin i first nailed about a year ago and have been able to do it ever since, but only for 1 chin, i got this largely down to the fact that i have very strong fingers through my years of climbing.

You know i can do a middle finger chin, but can't do more than about 5 wide chins. The middle finger chin i first nailed about a year ago and have been able to do it ever since, but only for 1 chin, i got this largely down to the fact that i have very strong fingers through my years of climbing.

That's pretty cool Pete, I think I'm close and I'm sure its more mental than anything becuase I can static hold 200+lbs(on a smith machine but bear with me here) with my middle fingers. It's just that everytime I try it or do the 200 hold it feels like my fingers are gonna fly out of their sockets!

BTW, I plan on starting to climb soon, not real rocks(I've got a fear of heights something terrible)

Awesome workouts Zach!!!! Are you trying to do a one finger or one finger on each hand? Eagle Loops or on the bar? DO you want me to bring you some bending wraps for you to use at BBB?

Awesome workouts Zach!!!! Are you trying to do a one finger or one finger on each hand? Eagle Loops or on the bar? DO you want me to bring you some bending wraps for you to use at BBB?

In order

Thanks!

Both

On the bar

That would be great! I was planning on just borrowing some wraps for my attempts but if you brought some extras it would be Sweet! I wouldn't be a freeloader then :D Doesn't matter to me what material they are, I've never used any wraps as I said earlier I've been using old cushy socks so anything would be an improvement!

Well Eagle Loops are A LOT easier. I still can't do one finger (on each hand) pullups on a bar ( I can get about half way up) but I can do 10+ reps on eagle loops.

No problem, I can bring you some extra I have like 6 pairs. I'll just bring my whole selection and you can pick (except for the ones I'm using of course, hehe :D)

Well Eagle Loops are A LOT easier. I still can't do one finger (on each hand) pullups on a bar ( I can get about half way up) but I can do 10+ reps on eagle loops.

No problem, I can bring you some extra I have like 6 pairs. I'll just bring my whole selection and you can pick (except for the ones I'm using of course, hehe :D)

Yeah, I get about halfway up then the tendons in my hands feel super-taught and I'm afraid of injury.

That'd be super, I'd even bend in the "awful" IM wraps that I hear so much about. With socks the ends of the nails always dig into my hands and cushon my efforts at the same time so actual wraps that fit tight would be really cool to use.

Abit o' bench today, just trying to keep it consistent. Felt like crap today, not strong at all and it doesn't help we're going to have to put down one of our cats either this week or next, had him 17 years and was perfectly healthy all that time and he still plays with our 2yr old cats and our 5yr old one but cancer's beaten him down in less than 7 months. Really put a damper on the day, I'm sure you pet lovers can understand.

Just a reminder that everytime I put a one handed or one armed lift up I put down the reps for both arms unless otherwise stated

Flat bench

135x10

155x10

175x8

195x5

205x3

225x0

215x1

175x8

OHDB press

75x1

60x5

60x5

Lying JM press

50'sx8

60'sx8

60'sx7(just dropped on the final push >(

Did some smith machine pulls too just for the heck of it

140x1 with middle fingers

120x1 with middle fingers

110x1 with index fingers

110x1 with ring and pinky

250x2 one handed with BH

320x2 one handed with BH

250x2 one handed with BH

Lateral raises

20'sx10(each arm)

25'sx10 "

30'sx10 "

Front delt raises

20'sx10(each arm)

25'sx10 "

20'sx10 "

Abit o' pinch

3 10'sx2 DLs

3 10'sx2 index/middle DLs

3 10'sx2 pinky ring DLs

4 10'sx3 DLs(these ones are much more slick than the ones I tried at superfitness, reall glossy)

3 10'sx2 cleans

3 10'sx3 indx/mid cleans

3 10'sx3 indx finger DLs

2 45'sx2 2HP reps

60lb Hex DB I pinch lifted for 2 reps, I grabbed each end, haven't been able to saw this up into blobs yet.

3 10'sx1 double DL

3 10'sx1 double DL with indx/mid

3 10'sx1 double DL with indx fingers

3 10'sx1 double DL with ring/pinky

2 25'sx1 DL

Deep hub 25 hub lift with both hands PR I don't really do hub pinch but pinch is starting to feel strong

Wide 3 10'sx1 DL (these measure about 4.5" accross while my skinny ones are only about 2.5-3")

A slew of 10lb hub lifts, still feeling this type of lifting out but since I can lift something by the hub it's getting more interesting :) I actually feel stronger using 3 fingers and cupping the hub, no palm contact but I think it's easier because my ring finger and thumb oppose eachother nicely sand the pinky helps push the ring finger in.

That's pretty much it :)

Focused on wristwork today, my hands are pretty blown out from yesterday's pinching and I've got a slight cold so my joint's ache just abit so I cut it short tonight.

Wrist curls

105x12

105x12

125x10

145x5

Reverse Curls

85x8

75x8

75x7

Did some levering with a 15lb medicine stick, back levering, front levers with a 9lb stick and a few reps to my face with my 8 and 10er sledges

Middle finger deads(BH at once)

75x3

95x2

DB snatches

75x3 each arm

a few parallel reps with my choked #2

Had an odd Deadlift!!!! day today, I wasn't motivated and I didn't feel strong today but OH WELL. I'm kind of proud to say I had an "off" day and still got a PR and pulled my max again. I have a new plan as well, I'm going to try for a 3 rep max every week upping it by 5lbs a week, last week was 335, this week it's 340 and next week it'll be 345. So hopefully in the next 3 weeks I could pull my current max for 2 and that will give me the confidence to try for 365-375.

Warmups

Clean pulls

215x4

Deadlifts, From now on I will ALWAYS be stopping the momentum after every rep, all I did was simply stop bouncing and change my routine slightly and my max went up 20lbs and I can tell you its going to be at 370 by 08'. 355 felt hard but doable and ALOT easier than the first time I did it.

305x2 DO

340x4(PR damn near had 5 and I bet you I would've had it if I hadn't waited 5 seconds for the 5th attempt)

355x1(sumo, I tried conventional just before this and failed)

335x2

285x3 DO(PR)

285x3 DO

Snatch pull

215x5

Clean pulls

215x5

235x3(I made the mistake of going to the bathroom between my Deadlifts and starting my accessory work and the adrenaline/drive was lack luster, I could barely DL 295 for 1 for some reason so I stopped for today)

Nice pinch. I have a feeling you'll be hub lifting 45s in no time. Nice deadlifting too. How much do you weigh?

Thanks, and your in luck! I actually weighed myself today so I can tell you exactly what I weighed 3 minutes before lifting... Just a little bit less than 174. I'm finally starting to break my 2xBW rut that I've had for about a year. First 2xBW DL I had was 335 and I weighed 167 when I did that so I really haven't gotten much stronger, just heavier but I'm hoping to break through that by the end of the year. My goal is 375@170-178 which at worst would be a 2.1xBW DL and at best 2.2. Call me weird but I like to go by ratio's to determine strength rather than actual weight's lifted when it comes to the big 3.

nice workouts!

careful with the finger lifting i had a month last year when i was completely out of action because of it - took me about 2 months before i could no set a #2 again it really affected my sweep! it looks impressive to the general public but the injury risk to the flexor tendons isn't worth it.

im wraps are good for bending, much better than old towels/socks.

Nice pinch. I have a feeling you'll be hub lifting 45s in no time. Nice deadlifting too. How much do you weigh?

Thanks, and your in luck! I actually weighed myself today so I can tell you exactly what I weighed 3 minutes before lifting... Just a little bit less than 174. I'm finally starting to break my 2xBW rut that I've had for about a year. First 2xBW DL I had was 335 and I weighed 167 when I did that so I really haven't gotten much stronger, just heavier but I'm hoping to break through that by the end of the year. My goal is 375@170-178 which at worst would be a 2.1xBW DL and at best 2.2. Call me weird but I like to go by ratio's to determine strength rather than actual weight's lifted when it comes to the big 3.

I think 375 is a good number to shoot for. You'll probably end up with more than that anyway. Good luck.

I think 375 is a good number to shoot for. You'll probably end up with more than that anyway. Good luck.

Yeah, I'm willing to bet my max is higher than 355 right now. The frequencey of times I lift it, how easy it feels and the fact that I pulled 340 for 4 and nearly 5 reps really tells me I'm good for at least 365 I'd think. I only pulled 355 conventional once though, all I can seem to do is Sumo lift it right now.

Grippers(#2 and 2.5 are choked to parallel)

Filed Tx5 TNS

1.5xTNS

2.5x1 hold at 1/8" from choked

#2x10 choked closes RH and 4 LH(+a VERY close 5th attempt)

2.5x1 inverted choked close

#2x2 3 finger choked closes RH and 1 LH

#1x2 Ring/Pinky finger holds near closed

1.5x2 TNS

2.5x1 inverted choked close RH, LH barely moved it

#2x10 inverted choked closes

#1x1 Index/middle close RH and 1 close attempt LH

1.5x5 inverted closes RH and 3 LH

#2x2 choked closes RH

#3x1 hold at parallel

Tx2 ring/pinky closes

Tx1 index/middle no set and 1 attempt(it's really hard to do with how much I filed it!)

#2x3 choked closes RH and 2 LH

2.5x2 negs from 1/8" until parallel(second attempts were held from 1/4")

#1x5 no set

Tx10 index/middle closes

#2x3 overcrushes RH only

1.5x3 overcrushes LH only

Tx15 inverted

Tx15 (these and the inverted T closes were supersetted, as soon as one set was done with the right it was handed to the left and so on you all know the drill)

#1x10 RH and 7 LH

Done with grippers!

Figured I'd do some pushups n' such before the gym

Fingertip pushups(chest to floor always) 2x10

Handstand puhsups- 1x4 1x3