2007 Gripmas Carol

climber511

I'm putting hotel info together for those coming in from different directions, driving and flying - so drop me a PM or email with where you'll be coming in from and I'll send it back to you. Sorry to be a bit vague but with there being more than one way into our tiny town, it will save a lot of driving to have more than one hotel choice if you wish. And please let me know if you're bringing any extra people with you to watch etc so I can plan the food.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• climber511

• EricMilfeld

• MalachiMcMullen

• nickr104

One thing I never thought about until vikingsrule92's post is age of competitors. If you are under the legal age to sign liability release documents, you must have a parent here to do so for you before I can let you in. Just covering my butt here!

Edited by climber511

I'm starting to get requests about info on sharing rides, rental cars from the airport, hotel rooms etc - if you all could post if you're willing to do any of these things with others and where you will be traveling from etc - maybe you guys can all hook up and it might really help out with costs for everyone. Contests (and the rest of life) can get real expensive - a little help might be the difference between someone being able to come - or not. Heck I don't even know who all is coming yet for sure so I can't really put everyone together yet. Be a good chance to make some new friends as well as maybe a new workout partner.

Chris, will we be allowed to drop down in weight or select easier bends on successive attempts? And will it be three or four attempts for the events (other than the plate hold)? Thanks.

Chris, will we be allowed to drop down in weight or select easier bends on successive attempts? And will it be three or four attempts for the events (other than the plate hold)? Thanks.

Grippers - 3 attempts - you may go up or down

Euro Pinch - 4 attempts - rising bar

Axle DL - 4 attempts - rising bar

Medley - one try - I'm still playing with how long the time limit will be.

Reverse Bending - 3 attempts - you may go up or down - will be done in flights - 30 sec time limit

Plate Hold - one try

Pinch and Axle take a long time anyway you do them, rising bar helps a lot on that - with 4 tries, hopefully no one bombs. We'll start at whatever weight the first people want and go up 10# at a time on the pinch and 5 kilos on the axle. My advice (given by the guy who bombed the 2" v-bar at BBB) is start low and get a for sure lift in, then make your jumps.

PS - thanks to Eric we have what looks like a real nice progression on the bending stock including some 3/8" HRR that came in at 670 hehe. Some of you might like a shot at it DO afterwards - a special prize if you do it reverse!

Grippers - 3 attempts - you may go up or down

Euro Pinch - 4 attempts - rising bar

Axle DL - 4 attempts - rising bar

Medley - one try - I'm still playing with how long the time limit will be.

Reverse Bending - 3 attempts - you may go up or down - will be done in flights - 30 sec time limit

Plate Hold - one try

Pinch and Axle take a long time anyway you do them, rising bar helps a lot on that - with 4 tries, hopefully no one bombs. We'll start at whatever weight the first people want and go up 10# at a time on the pinch and 5 kilos on the axle. My advice (given by the guy who bombed the 2" v-bar at BBB) is start low and get a for sure lift in, then make your jumps.

PS - thanks to Eric we have what looks like a real nice progression on the bending stock including some 3/8" HRR that came in at 670 hehe. Some of you might like a shot at it DO afterwards - a special prize if you do it reverse!

Thanks, Chris, it looks good!

For clarification, because we're making 10 and 11 pound jumps on the pinch and axle respectively, does this mean, for example, that if someone would like an attempt at a 300 pound axle he may have to settle for 295 or 305?

The reason for using kilos for the Axle is because I have a set of Werksan Competition Bumpers that a. don't hurt anything when dropped (and it seems it gets dropped a lot) and b. are calibrated plates and exact weight. So the answer is yes - the numbers will not come out in 10 pound increments on the even 10 # marks - but if someone has a long standing PR goal like 300# for example - we will do our best to accommodate them - I do have smaller plates we can use.

The reason for using kilos for the Axle is because I have a set of Werksan Competition Bumpers that a. don't hurt anything when dropped (and it seems it gets dropped a lot) and b. are calibrated plates and exact weight. So the answer is yes - the numbers will not come out in 10 pound increments on the even 10 # marks - but if someone has a long standing PR goal like 300# for example - we will do our best to accommodate them - I do have smaller plates we can use.

Okay, cool. I just know that a 10 pound jump on pinch is huge for me.

Okay, cool. I just know that a 10 pound jump on pinch is huge for me.

The reason for 10# jumps is simply time - at every contest I've been to with the pinch - it has always been 10# jumps - I don't have a problem with 5# but it will take a lot longer I'm afraid - and my goal is 5 hours or so. I'm going to be here all night anyway so if people want five and don't mind the extra time - it's fine with me.

Add my name to the list...looks to be a set of cool events and a strong group of competitors :rock See everyone soon...safe training and safe travels to all :rock

Chad

A request - please get your entry forms sent in - I'm getting inquires from quite a few new people and I may have to move the contest to the rec center OR not let everyone in. I have to know real soon to rent the rec center so the sooner you can get your forms sent in, the better I can plan. Thanks everyone. Chris

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Sean, are you replying to Chris Rice's post or Chad's entering the contest (meaning all will place another spot lower than anticipated) ;) ?

I look forward to meeting him myself.

Here's who I have heard is coming - only the first group of six below has actually sent in their forms. I figure the garage can handle 20 plus a few spectators so we're close.

Jeremy Strong

Zach Coulter

Robert Sunden

Dave Thornton

Eric Milfeld

Chris Rice

Nick Rosendaul

Stew Rosendaul

John Eaton

Jedd Johnson

Anson

Josh Dale

Dan Sweeny

Scott Harris

Brent Barbe

Scott Styles

Mike Amos

John Beatty

Chad Woodall

Brad Ardrey

Brad’s friend

Joey Carr

Josh Rice

Brenden Dwyer - cancelled

Josh "amazin" McCann – I think cancelled ??? Let me know please Josh.

Doc – injured but coming

Scott George – injured but coming

George Champlin - spectating

Ah, poo. I wont place well here either ;) If everyone on that list comes it'd be quite a lineup!

I've had some questions on what toys to bring - the answer is pretty much anything you want to play with afterwards. Phone books, horseshoes, wrenches to bend - all that kind of stuff that you want to do. If you have any unique grip (or other) items you think we'd all like to try, bring them along if you can. John Beatty said he's bringing his huge anvil - can't wait to give that monster a try and if Jake comes, he has a real nice mid sized one for horn lifts as well. Jedd and Odin are bringing Inch's - I have a couple Blobs and I imagine Doc and Nick will bring a few too. I'll have my RGC here if anyone wants to measure their grippers. If anyone has a really good set of 5 - 10s or 3 - 25# plates (hint to John Beatty on the 25s), you might bring them along - I have a nice set of 2 - 45s here. I don't have any real good hub plates - the ones I have are OK but I've seen better. Remember your bending pads and your lucky rabbits foot and you should be good to go.

Jedd and Odin are bringing Inch's - I have a couple Blobs and I imagine Doc and Nick will bring a few too.
[chanting]Fa-mers walk! Fa-mers walk!Fa-mers walk! Fa-mers walk! Fa-mers walk! [/chanting]

Maybe Jedd Could bring the 6 10's they got. I would really like to give that lift a go agian.

I'll be bringing Josh Dale's Inch replica and my smaller DB and a couple grippers to calibrate.

Mike and I will be staying at the following Super 8 Friday and Saturday night:

http://www.super8.com/Super8/control/Booki...;propBrandId=SE

Super 8 Motel - Buckeye Lake OH

I-70 & State Route79 Exit 129A

P. O. Box 1206

Buckeye Lake, OH 43008 US

Phone: 740-929-1015

Fax: 740-928-2115

It'd be cool if some of you other guys chose to stay here, making it the central Gripmas hotel.

Someone else's turn this contest - any predictions on who will do what?

I have two

If you come to Gripmas, you'll have fun!

If you don't come to Gripmas, you'll be sorry!

I guess I have three after all - if all the strongmen guys from Lancaster Ohio are as strong as Brad - they will shake some things up. I have the feeling last night was the last time I'll beat him (and I only got him on a couple things). Once his techniques catch up with his raw strength, I think he can play with the big dogs.

If you're on my competitor list and you know you're not able to come, please drop me a PM and let me know.

I don't know who on that list is coming but all of them make it it'll be pretty hard to pick a top 20 let alone a top 5 :rolleyes

Suppose I'll try and get the ball rolling here so here goes!

I don't know much about most of the people on that list but I know enough to realize it's a stout one. I'll pick a top 10 I suppose like Chris did for the BBB3.

Chad Woodall

Jedd Johnson

Dave Thornton

Chris Rice

Josh Dale

John Eaton

John Beatty

Eric Milfeld

Nick Rosendaul

Robert Sunden

I don't know much about the competitors involved but I can see a good portion of this group making up the actual top 10. If Brad Ardrey(strongman) is as strong as he sounds he may break the top 10 also, in this crowd though I don't think he's going to break the top 5 but in time who knows? Three of the events require alot of thumb strength so people who are strong of thumb I think will do well.

On a side note, if anyone wants to carpool or convoy or what-have-you, me and my dad would be game. We would be taking my dad's truck for sure though, wouldn't want to carry the DB's in someone else's car or truck as they did enough damage to ours :blush

Not sure where to put this but Jeremy Strong paid me a visit today - God - aren't there any little weak guys coming to this contest? Another 240# monster! Not going to post his numbers because nobody else is posting a log for now either. He closed some nice grippers - has a decent 2HP for a guy who has never done it before, axle DL isn't bad either. He's still working on the Reverse bending style but does all right. He did real well in the medley - I'm definitely going to have to make it harder. And we didn't do the plate holds. Then the fun started. He had 5-10s within an inch of lock out. Did 139 on the Bomb and had 141 almost locked out - 231 on the 1" V-bar - did the 40 Blob and floated the York - that's my nasty hard York. He did some Do bending and kinked a Grade 8. We played with about everything in the garage - I had a great time - I hope he did too!

I had a great time too! Im almost too sore to type. It was fun getting to try everything out and meet someone else that does this. Im hoping to get the 5 10s next time. It was so close. It will be a great contest with great events. What was the weight of your bomb? I think I'll have to get one.