2007 Gripmas Carol

climber511

this is going to be a great showing! Chris will it double the population of the town for the weekend? Maybe a newspaper headliner

can't wait to see the mystery medley :ohmy

It just might Scott.

If 20 people show up - then the town will have 21 people in it :blink

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• climber511

• EricMilfeld

• MalachiMcMullen

• nickr104

Hmmm...do you have an entry deadline for this?

Its like a 17 hour drive for me but I like the events. But then, I'd have to find out what 'Reverse Bending" is? Haha.

Matt - I'd love to have you. 17 hour drive - you ever hear of airplanes? :)

Reverse bending is where you do the reverse of bending or "straightening" if you will :cry hehe!

this is going to be a great showing! Chris will it double the population of the town for the weekend? Maybe a newspaper headliner

can't wait to see the mystery medley :ohmy

It just might Scott.

If 20 people show up - then the town will have 21 people in it :blink

Man at this rate you might need to find off street parking and have a shuttle bus :D

On the place-name sign of Crooksville I read sth like that:

Population: You

Chris, I hate to be "that guy" asking the ten million questions before the event, but have you decided on a particular length of stock for the bending, or will it be various lengths?

Chris, I hate to be "that guy" asking the ten million questions before the event, but have you decided on a particular length of stock for the bending, or will it be various lengths?

Well Eric - my goal is to have as smooth a progression as I can with small and regular jumps between. John (FBBC) is furnishing all the stock. As soon as he sends it to me - I'm sending you a piece of each to calibrate. Then we'll use your results to make our little chart for Gripmas. Short answer is - different lengths I assume. There doesn't seem to be a way to cover the wide range of strengths needed with one length. Now you you can come up with one - I'm all ears!

Well Eric - my goal is to have as smooth a progression as I can with small and regular jumps between. John (FBBC) is furnishing all the stock. As soon as he sends it to me - I'm sending you a piece of each to calibrate. Then we'll use your results to make our little chart for Gripmas. Short answer is - different lengths I assume. There doesn't seem to be a way to cover the wide range of strengths needed with one length. Now you you can come up with one - I'm all ears!

It's not impossible, but it does take a lot of leg work to locate enough stock to fill the gaps when you're using all one length. This is what we did at the last Show of Hands. Using stocks of different lengths poses a different problem, that is the guesswork involved in comparing calibration ratings of different length stocks. Based on a combination of calibration ratings and feel we could then assign a point value for each piece of steel. An educated guess based on "feel" is the best you can do in this case. I'm willing to help you with either route. It sounds like we'll be using different lengths, though, as I doubt John has enough variety in his collection to make all the graduated jumps. Using different lengths is definitely easier, and I'm sure you're plenty busy already!

It's not impossible, but it does take a lot of leg work to locate enough stock to fill the gaps when you're using all one length. This is what we did at the last Show of Hands. Using stocks of different lengths poses a different problem, that is the guesswork involved in comparing calibration ratings of different length stocks. Based on a combination of calibration ratings and feel we could then assign a point value for each piece of steel. An educated guess based on "feel" is the best you can do in this case. I'm willing to help you with either route. It sounds like we'll be using different lengths, though, as I doubt John has enough variety in his collection to make all the graduated jumps. Using different lengths is definitely easier, and I'm sure you're plenty busy already!

Thanks Eric! I remember reading about Jedd saying the GGC consumed all his time for several months and thinking "How?" Now I know. It doesn't seem like there's that much to do but somehow I work doing something for it every day it seems like.

sent my check this mornin

So did I!

mine should be there any day now. I apologize for the rough looking entry form.

Your's is here Jeremy - good to go!

A request please - when you send in your entry form - please use a full sheet of paper - these little tiny ones are hard to keep track of :) - thanks everyone. The early entry sign ups are really appreciated - nice to know someone is coming!

Also a request - if anyone has an Anvil, it would be great if they could bring it to play with. Let me know if you have one and what size it is please.

A request please - when you send in your entry form - please use a full sheet of paper - these little tiny ones are hard to keep track of :) - thanks everyone. The early entry sign ups are really appreciated - nice to know someone is coming!

:blush

I have a 120 I could bring it down and be an honary judge?????

Darn Jake - I thought you had dropped off the planet or something - how's that baby doing now? Heck yes, you can be a judge, and compete if you want. I'd love to play with that anvil again so bring it along. I planned to try to get a hold of you and the Keiner brothers and invite you guys down for it anyway, you guys were some of the original Gripmas guys, just not the same without you. Hope you guys are all doing well - and thanks! Chris

I have a friend in B'ham with a very old anvil that weighs ~83 lbs. It is a family heirloom, so I doubt he'll want us to be throwing it around...but I'll see if he'll consider it.

Good to see you are alive Jake! If you come with that anvil bring my #1 coc you used like 3 years ago. :laugh Tara was going to use it to work up closing the #2 better but I am sure she is busy now. Hope to see ya.

Will the weaver stick be tested to the front or back?

Josh - it won't be a contest event this time but one of the sort of "stand alone" events I want to have after the contest (done to front and rear). TTWC, Weaver Stick, my high jump thingy, and a couple more ideas I have. None of this will be mandatory of course but along with the normal feats of strength afterwards, I thought I'd try and have some things that might be new to play around with.

Should I bring my homemade bells Chris? The BFDB should be cut down to 173lbs by December, so it wont just be an impossibly big paperweight anymore. I may be able to convince my dad to compete, he had lots of fun watching me at BBB3 and learned alot himself from it. I can tell he's getting more interested.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

Will the weaver stick be tested to the front or back?

Josh - it won't be a contest event this time but one of the sort of "stand alone" events I want to have after the contest (done to front and rear). TTWC, Weaver Stick, my high jump thingy, and a couple more ideas I have. None of this will be mandatory of course but along with the normal feats of strength afterwards, I thought I'd try and have some things that might be new to play around with.

Gotcha.. contested or not, I'm still training to take out Eaton on this :D