Quest For Gripstrength Starting With Gripper #3

Geralt

Thnx dude, it's hard to find the right resistance with a gripper that gives the right stimulus, but also doesn't nibble too much off from my recovery you know. But I really think no setting an average 2.5 at any point when being fairly 'fresh' must be a piece of cake when working towards a #3 cert. Now keep in mind that have a filed 2.5 which I have done three or four reps no set with in training. So this is where the difference in ratings kicks in. 

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

Good stuff dude. I have been using tns as a finisher and I like it. Really works that sweep

12 hours ago, Geralt said:

Thnx dude, it's hard to find the right resistance with a gripper that gives the right stimulus, but also doesn't nibble too much off from my recovery you know. But I really think no setting an average 2.5 at any point when being fairly 'fresh' must be a piece of cake when working towards a #3 cert. Now keep in mind that have a filed 2.5 which I have done three or four reps no set with in training. So this is where the difference in ratings kicks in. 

I agree on you about that thing about finding the right kind of resistance for TNSwork... it is quite difficult (at least for me right now) when one has trained a lot of narrower sets to find the right level where it hits you good in the outer portion and still gives you the chance of closing it when it ramps up...

For that purpose I have now also filed my #2 (my #2.5 and #3 is already filed since before, but, that was before I made the conscious decision to add more TNS work, right now I am not sure I can even get my filed #2.5 TNS, will have to try it out a bit "fresher" sometime soon to see where I am at this moment).
Only reason I haven't filed my #2 before now has been mainly sentimental as it is one older double-stamped black-spring, but, it's not like it is a rare gripper or anything, just that my #1 and #2 were "older" than my other grippers, and also the first grippers I ever bought...
But, now I've figured as much as they are nothing but training tools, and, I feel like BTR might be the best way to train, period, no matter what choices you make regarding set-width and such...

Also, regarding resistance in the TNS I guess a lot of it also comes down to WHEN you are putting in the TNSwork in regards to your individual WOs and also recovery in between workouts... I will try and experiment a lot now coming months with TNSwork and very deep-set+assistedcloses/negs.

• Like 1

Squats 3 x 5 same weight as Monday. First working up to 5x5 225lbs comfortably. 

Squat walkouts with high supports up till 150kg. Helps make load less intimidating. 

Dips @bw several sets.

Filed IM#1 no set 1 x 10, 1 x 5; 

Filed IM#2 no set 1 x 5, 1 x 3; 

IM#2.5 no set 2 x 1; 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91QwHzhFfP4

RB240 (135lbs) no set 3 x 1, first most convincing, not filmed because of focus on close. Felt so good I decided to film the next attempts. Closed, but not as convincing as the first. PR however, since I always suck at TNS work with the heavier grippers, so very glad with this. 

RB240 no set

IM#3 (153) 1.5" blockset, I thought I felt it closed for a second, but it opened up again the last part. However, seeing the work I did before, I think it's positive to squeeze out a very good attempt on a stiff #3 after TNS work before. 

Also pinch work and a little bit of wrist stuff. Next Tuesday a TNS #2.5 session. 

Lefty btw solid #2.5 closes, which also don't hurt afterwards so I hope I have seen the last of that nasty tennis elbow.....keeping up the high reps with this hand. 

• Like 2

Yesterday our beautiful and beloved Boxer died peacefully. He was 11 years old. We had him put to sleep by the vet since he had cancer for 10 months. The signs of him having pain and discomfort were getting more and more obvious. He had his good moment when we made the decision which made it harder for me, but it was better then him being in pain. The house is so empty now and I have a strange feeling I cannot describe. Since we moved into this house in 2004 he has been with us. One of my life's saddest days. He was my big big big buddy. 

While the day passed on, we had to wait till the vet came in the afternoon, so in between my attempts to do some work from behind my computer at home I also fumbled around with some grippers. Good for a bit of distraction. 

After warming up: IM#2.5  3 x 1 CCS, 3 x 2 CCS. The doubles felt easy, even after training last Sunday. TNS work seems to be paying off. 

Last monday I did squats btw. Upped the weight  5 lbs. 

13 minutes ago, Geralt said:

Yesterday our beautiful and beloved Boxer died peacefully. He was 11 years old. We had him put to sleep by the vet since he had cancer for 10 months. The signs of him having pain and discomfort were getting more and more obvious. He had his good moment when we made the decision which made it harder for me, but it was better then him being in pain. The house is so empty now and I have a strange feeling I cannot describe. Since we moved into this house in 2004 he has been with us. One of my life's saddest days. He was my big big big buddy. 

While the day passed on, we had to wait till the vet came in the afternoon, so in between my attempts to do some work from behind my computer at home I also fumbled around with some grippers. Good for a bit of distraction. 

After warming up: IM#2.5  3 x 1 CCS, 3 x 2 CCS. The doubles felt easy, even after training last Sunday. TNS work seems to be paying off. 

Last monday I did squats btw. Upped the weight  5 lbs. 

RIP. I want to think that your Boxer buddy now is in doggy heaven, all day eating hot dogs and sniffing other nice dogs in their behind..

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Geralt said:

Yesterday our beautiful and beloved Boxer died peacefully.

Very sorry to hear that Geralt. He's probably enjoying a six pound steak in boxer heaven right now. Best of luck.

• Like 1

Thank you guys. It is very simple without being to dramatic: my life isn't the same anymore. It will get a place somehow but it will need time. 

Sorry to hear this and wishing you the best.

• Like 1

I'm very sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is. It took me a while to get back to normal when my dog passed. 

• Like 1

Very sorry for the loss of your buddy.

• Like 1

I am so sorry to hear about your furry buddy, Geralt!  I know your heart aches with the emptiness of the house.  Sounds like he was a very lucky dog to have you (and your wife?) as caretakers. 

• Like 1

Very cool, guys. Thank you for your reactions. Yes, a lot of people know how it hurts. Dogs are very special beings. Only one friend remaining now and that's our 16 year old cat. Lost one cat last year, 14 years old. When looking back photos I realize how quickly time went and how much has changed through those years from house to kids. Also amazed how quickly time went after we had our first daughter 8 years ago. And all that time it was just naturally / almost was taken for granted that our buddies were there with us. Time will probably heal but I am grateful for his part in my life and will never forget. Best dog ever. 

• Like 2

On a training related note, GREAT TNS work!!!  And excellent 1.5" block close also.  That is a very solid TNS close, Geralt. 

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your dog Geralt.  We always treated them like family in my house.  I had one go 9 years ago now, still haven't gotten another one.  Keep on training and spending time with the family.

• Like 1

Thank you very much guys. Much appreciated. trying to get back to normal life. 

Working 3x5 backsquats;

walkouts with 160kg 3 x 10 secs. 

Seated shoulderpress, back of shoulders light work and bw dips. 

Indeed, it's a distraction for me, since I am full of grief still. I am doing them because I want to feel at least 150kg on my back each workout. This is my goal weight. I hope, by doing at least this weight for 3 x 10 seconds, I make all weights further beneath this number far less intimidating (let's say from 130kg and up). Plus, I get used to walking out big weight and finding the right footposition in as less steps as possible. Now I walk out, and when I get the squatposition, I start counting. So that's probably 15 seconds under heavy load. 

So when doing the actual squat, I hope it helps me to unrack the weight, find my optimal footposition almost immediately do the squat. This should be well within the timeframe of the walkouts I practised, and thus, easier and more economical. I read about this long time ago and since I have a squatrack, it is an easy/safe exercise to perform. 

Edited by Geralt

1 hour ago, Geralt said:

I hope, by doing at least this weight for 3 x 10 seconds, I make all weights further beneath this number far less intimidating (let's say from 130kg and up). 

If you can get hold on some chains it will help you greatly. You can put on 160kg in top position and as you squat down the weight will be reduced to 120kg for example. This will overload a part of the movement and helps the body to adapt to bigger weights. 

Edited by Grind
  • Like 3

True, I have been looking for chains in the past, but the crazy prices for a good amount and length of chains is ridiculous.