The Gripmas Carol 2011

climber511

The Gripmas Carol 2011

The date is Dec 10th, 2011. The likely events – probably in this order - will be:

Grippers in chokers set at parallel – 4 attempts – not rising bar. The more “sets” we try in competitions, (CCS, MMS, Blocks, etc) the better I like the chokers. No fumbling around – just a pure test of strength without even a hint of a hand size issue to argue about. No “skill” component either, you either have the horse power to close it – or you don’t – very simple. I just want to see how strong you are – not how skilled you have become at setting a gripper with both hands and finishing it off with one. Do I like this because I suck at setting grippers? Yep.

Two Hand Pinch – all normal widths allowed – 4 attempts – rising bar. We may use multiple set ups for different classes to get through this quicker depending on how many people show up. A great event that takes too long in a well attended contest of 15 or more which I hope Gripmas will be – we need to find a quicker way to do this one but I will do it in a manner that gives every single person the best possible chance for a PR regardless the time it takes.

Double sledge lever from a dead stop in my rack setup for max weight – 4 attempts - rising bar. I need to have a few people go through this and see what we think of it as an event before I decide for sure. I’ve tried it a few times and it is really really tough. No way to bounce or cheat – you’ll see how strong your wrists are – or aren’t - period.

Medley – 30 or so items – 1 attempt - it will be very similar to Gripmas in years past but a bit heavier – I don’t want even the best guys to get all the items – but I do want everyone to have the time to at least try each item. It will take as long as it takes to be the best Medley I can come up with.

Hercules Hold – 1 attempt - haven’t built it yet so I don’t know the handle size (I’m thinking 1.25”) - or the weight I will use (maybe 300+# or so per hand?). My target hold time will be less than a minute for most – we’ll see how that pans out. Contested for Max time, one attempt. Again I need to get this built and have a few people in to work out the kinks with the lifting of the weights to start, a smooth hand off etc.

It looks like a longish contest day so be prepared – I may make some changes to shorten things up and I may not. I’m still working out details and things might change as I have some people go through things and give me some feedback etc.

There are always events this and that person doesn’t like as well as others – and while I appreciate that – I don’t care at all about the opinion of anyone who isn’t planning on attending. For those of you attending – I welcome your feedback.

Something I have arranged is for Jedd Johnson, Andrew Duriant, and Adam Glass to give short talks on different subjects either Friday or Saturday evening. Three of the very best grip guys and all tremendously knowledgeable about many areas of strength training – they will be sharing their knowledge with us and holding a Q&A session afterwards. I’m really excited about this addition to the Gripmas Carol this year.

I’m still working on what classes I want to have. Elite, Open, Novice, Ladies – Elite, Open, Lightweight, Ladies or whatever - - not sure where to go with this yet but I’ll figure it out soon. I don’t like the way the Novice class is working right now. People that very obviously belong in the Open should not still be lifting as Novices for an entire year. Novices who lift the Inch, Blob, close a COC #3 or better, Axle 350+ -- come on, these guys do not need to stay in the Novice Class after their first contest – no way!

I’ll be adding entry form, waiver, all rules, etc, etc as time goes on.

Loud and clear on the Novice Division.

It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Hind sight is 20/20. Back seat driver. Monday morning quarterback. Any other cliche's I am missing? :whistel

Hind sight is 20/20. Back seat driver. Monday morning quarterback. Any other cliche's I am missing? :whistel

live and learn. changes will need to be made as the rules and decisions actually get used.

will the women's class be a definate?

To be fair Jedder - who expected all these mutants to come out this quickly? I know I didn't.

live and learn. changes will need to be made as the rules and decisions actually get used.

will the women's class be a definate?

Brent - I will hold a Ladies class if I can get at least 3 entries. I will not have it otherwise.

Once again I ask that a video demonstration of the Double Sledge with heavy weight be posted to YouTube for all to see, even if the video has to be mailed / emailed to me so that I can put it up.

This video should clearly show the proper technique as well as the range of motion required to execute the lift.

This would be much appreciated.

Sign me up for whatever class is using Jedd's 2HP device. I want no part of your glass set up Chris. :laugh

Once again I ask that a video demonstration with heavy weight be posted to YouTube for all to see, even if the video has to be mailed / emailed to me so that I can put it up.

This video should clearly show the proper technique as well as the range of motion required to execute the lift.

This would be much appreciated.

video of what?

Is there no chance at all of getting Rich Williams or Tex Henderson to one of these contests? What about Wade Gillingham?

Video of the sledge would be great! I'm not clear if we're starting in the bottom position or if we're lowering it and waiting for an up signal.

The whole event is unclear. If we are using the implement that go broken in the Medley at Nationals, it is going to be a very weird movement. The bar between the two sledge handles was roughly 8 inches long. Not sure how comfortable that will be to lever with both hands at the same time without building one.

I'll be glad to make a video of it as soon as I fix the broken handle. And yes someone will have to post it for me or at least walk me thru how to do it. We used this same set up for the "most reps in 60 seconds" event last year. There were some issues but no one said it wasn't a comfortable distance apart though??? This is why I want to start well in advance - to either work out all the bugs or change the event somehow (or completely).

I'll be glad to make a video of it as soon as I fix the broken handle. And yes someone will have to post it for me or at least walk me thru how to do it. We used this same set up for the "most reps in 60 seconds" event last year. There were some issues but no one said it wasn't a comfortable distance apart though??? This is why I want to start well in advance - to either work out all the bugs or change the event somehow (or completely).

I volunteer to upload the video if you have someway of shooting it and burning it to disk.

With two events that require special equipment, I just want to have the best chance possible to do well.

I volunteer to upload the video if you have someway of shooting it and burning it to disk.

With two events that require special equipment, I just want to have the best chance possible to do well.

I will include all measurements etc in the video as well - of both the sledges set up and the rack setup including the angle of the handles at the bottom position. To practice one would have to make the double sledges but any table top etc to rest your arms on should be adequate to train with. The movement itself is very stable with the double set up - no side to side or extraneous movement like with a single hammer.

On the Hercules Hold - I won't be able to practice with it either as it will probably take a few people to lift the weights on each end and get your hold on the handles. I have some planning to do before I build it but I can post pictures of it also when its done.

Yeah, some jack@ss broke your set-up in the medley :laugh

Melissa and I will definitely be competing barring stroke or severe injury. I'm assuming Maryann will be too. We need one more. If there is no ladies class, can the women compete in the novice division?

for the sledges we'll also want to know if we lower it or take it from the bottom. I know that was still up in the air not too long ago.

for the sledges we'll also want to know if we lower it or take it from the bottom. I know that was still up in the air not too long ago.

I tried that both ways and you can't get your grip right if you put the sledges at the bottom position and then try to grab them. I'm sure it's best to get your grip at vertical - then lower (or even have it lowered maybe) so that it's set right in your hands. Let's not over analyze it until I get the video made up and we can all see what is going on. Then we can work towards getting it right.

without having done it I would have assumed starting at the bottom would be rough. I guiess the issue is lower it or have it lowered.

Jedd - I emailed you the sledge videos.

Climber, thanks for sending these. I am glad to upload them for you.

This video explains the Sledge Event

This video demonstrates the Sledge Event

Thanks again Chris - let me know if you need me to upload any other clips.

Jedd

Great videos Chris! I don't think I've ever seen somebody be so thorough as to measure the angle in a grip video; you're the man! Looks like a fun event!

Chris, any tips on how to build this?

I don't have tools or experience, but I have friends.

Naturally I would need two 10-lb hammers that match up in size, which I can get.

But from there, how do I connect them? Drill two holes and bolt them together with 8-inch carriage bolts? And do you have bolts and washers on either side?

And how exactly to you add the weights and the "loading pins" for the heads?

Thanks.