Overcrush Vs. Strap Hold

Finnegann

I have been thinking about overcrushes and strap holds recently and have come to the conclusion that there's no real difference between the two insofar as their end results. The movements, as far as your gripping hand is concerned, are exactly the same.

The only real differences that I see in the two are that (1) a strap hold gives you an indirect method to quantify how hard you're squeezing, (2) strap holds might motivate some people into exerting more effort than they would through just overcrushing, and (3) strap holds break up (what some might consider to be) the monotony of just squeezing grippers.

For a person who can summon the same intensity for an overcrush that he can for a stap hold and who doesn't get bored with "just squeezing grippers", I'm not sure that it makes any difference at all which one he does.

Thoughts?

in theory, with strap holds you can crush just barely as much as you need to keep the weight up. :shifty

Unless your hand has it's own built in gauge, on straps you need to squueze very much hard, aka as hard as possible because you do not know when the weight will fall. With and overcrush you do not have the gauge of weight.

Heath is right, strapholds force you to squeeze as hard as possible and give you a guage to make sure your doing just that. this is especially true if a steel ruler or something similar is being used.

For me a filed gripper works better than both of these.

Buy KTA. Its the best. Bar none for gripper programs. :rock

How about strapholds with a filed gripper? Best of both worlds in my opinion.

But if you can strap hold a filed gripper you're ready to file it even more!

Right you are Foggy, right you are.

I have been thinking about overcrushes and strap holds recently and have come to the conclusion that there's no real difference between the two insofar as their end results. The movements, as far as your gripping hand is concerned, are exactly the same.

The only real differences that I see in the two are that (1) a strap hold gives you an indirect method to quantify how hard you're squeezing, (2) strap holds might motivate some people into exerting more effort than they would through just overcrushing, and (3) strap holds break up (what some might consider to be) the monotony of just squeezing grippers.

For a person who can summon the same intensity for an overcrush that he can for a stap hold and who doesn't get bored with "just squeezing grippers", I'm not sure that it makes any difference at all which one he does.

Thoughts?

Exactly true, I also think that isometrics is the key to strong hands.

this is something i never realy thought about. the 2 do seem identicle, i still think strap holds are the better exercise, though not by far

For me a filed gripper works better than both of these.

Buy KTA. Its the best. Bar none for gripper programs. :rock

The problem with a strap hold is perhaps that it does not mimic a regular close to the same extent as an overcrush. Like Steve, I have also found filed gripper work to be more beneficial than strap holds. The latter are more fun than overcrushes though.

The problem with a strap hold is perhaps that it does not mimic a regular close to the same extent as an overcrush.

Exactly.

So, why not do both? :)

The straphold gives you feedback on just how much you are overcrushing. If not enough you will lose the strap. With overcrushes all you can do is squeeze as hard as you can with nothing to guide you.

Wouldn't it be ideal, for strapholds I mean, if you were to file your gripper ends so that whatever you straphold with adds enough thickness to exactly match a full close? In addition to this, the knurling would be smoothed out so that you'd really have to squeeze to get a straphold to stay. This may also solve the problems of massive strapholds that some say can be a problem for the wrist. Just thinking, that's what I'd do, but I've never strapheld more than a 2.5 pound weight, I'm a filing type of guy.