Gripper Question

JohnOBrien

I know that the dog-leg side of the gripper goes against your thumb base in your right hand, but do you turn the gripper around in your left hand or do you still put the dog-leg into your thumb left-handed?

The reason I ask is I have a really hard time on the last 1/4" or so on my left and don't know if it is hand strength (probably) or a mechanical disadvantage from using a right-handed gripper in your left-hand...

I believe there is a mechanical disadvantage, to some degree. I have never managed to comfortably set the gripper in my left, it always feels like it's slightly off center, so to speak.

Turning the gripper around doesn't do much of a difference though... the leg position wouldn't change. :tongue

I'd just always assumed it was becuase my left hand was weaker

People who are right-handed (most of the world) don't tend to think about how everyday objects are made for right-handed people. I'm a bit strange (more than a bit if you want to know the truth ;) ) in that I write with my left-hand and do almost everything else right-handed. My right-hand is stronger than my left, but there is a definite handedness to the grippers...

grippers are made for right handed people it feels natural if your right handed and strange when you change over to you left. If the springs were coiled the reverse way then it would feel better in the left hand.

Perhaps some left handed grippers are in order. I know there's the lemley, but I've heard nothing but bad things. I'd think Robert Baraban would make these if people asked for it. Not sure if Warren Tetting would make them though.

Tmmicklabs has a very hard gripper that is left hand wound. I think he bought it at an Odyssey martial arts store. I might be wrong though. I tried it and it was harder than a #3. Travis?

Am I the only one feeling the opposite way? I think all my CoC, BBE and RB grippers suits my left hand better.

Looking at the gripper from above, you can see that IF the handles would be closed in a straight parallell way, they wouldn't touch until they are almost passing each other, a bit side by side.

When closing the hand, in the first part of the crushing movement, the fingertips are moving backwards, towards the thumb pad, but in the last part of the crushing movement, the fingertips move into and towards the palm of the hand. That "moving towards the palm-part" of the movement, makes my grippers suit my left hand better, since the handles need to be pushed in that direction so that they will meet as early as possible in the movement.

But with the right hand, one has to work against the fact that the fingers moves towards palm when closing and thereby making the handles wanting to close more "side by side", rather than "middle to middle".

That's how I see it and I would really like to try a "left hand gripper" to see how it feels. I think it would suit my right hand perfectly!

Try it with an easy gripper and look at how the handles meet in the last part of the movement.

//Jim

first off for most your left hand is simply weaker.

are you better dribling a basketball right handed or left? play tennis left handed or right, if your right handed your left hand just seems awkward with some things.

just like gripping you seem comfortable right handed but put that thing in your left hand and it feels awkward, im not sure if im as weak left handed compared to my right as much as the mechanics just arent all there

i write and shoot with my left but do most other things with right.

my right is stronger. and the gripper feels much more comfortable in the right.

someone said it just feels weird in the left...i feel kinda the same. i can still no set a 2 in my left but it feels weird and more hard.

in the right it feels like its in a groove?

Am I the only one feeling the opposite way? I think all my CoC, BBE and RB grippers suits my left hand better.

Looking at the gripper from above, you can see that IF the handles would be closed in a straight parallell way, they wouldn't touch until they are almost passing each other, a bit side by side.

When closing the hand, in the first part of the crushing movement, the fingertips are moving backwards, towards the thumb pad, but in the last part of the crushing movement, the fingertips move into and towards the palm of the hand. That "moving towards the palm-part" of the movement, makes my grippers suit my left hand better, since the handles need to be pushed in that direction so that they will meet as early as possible in the movement.

But with the right hand, one has to work against the fact that the fingers moves towards palm when closing and thereby making the handles wanting to close more "side by side", rather than "middle to middle".

That's how I see it and I would really like to try a "left hand gripper" to see how it feels. I think it would suit my right hand perfectly!

Try it with an easy gripper and look at how the handles meet in the last part of the movement.

//Jim

Well, technically, the nearer the handles come, the setting is less of an issue, since the handles move towards eachother anyway. When I use a collar, I feel much less of a differance the closer together the handles are.

Also, a "righthanded" gripper follows the shape of the hand more naturally, which would account for the more comfortable set (for most people).

The closing path for the right also feels more powerful, as I can put the gripper higher in my thumbpad and thus get more leverage advantage. That's not the case for my left hand, because there is a point of diminishing returns and if I put the gripper that high in the left thumbpad I actually get weaker due to the direction of the force changes, and it feels more like a noset. Clear as mud? :rolleyes

Also, when I close the gripper inverted, I'm stronger with my left... and the gripper feels more comfortable in the left aswell... :happy

Edited by nagual

I'm left handed and I still have problems setting the gripper in my left. "my right's stronger" but I put the gripper the same way in both hands.

its because of the way the spring is coiled to fit in the right hand

I'm right handed, and, except for setting the grippers, I think that they feel just a little better in my left hand. I attribute the setting difficulty in my left hand to it being weaker and less coordinated than my right hand.

it would be interesting to try two grippers with the same size wire coiled in the two different directions though :dry

it would be interesting to try two grippers with the same size wire coiled in the two different directions though :dry

I agree! I would also like to try such a pair of grippers. By the way, I am right handed (forgot to mention that in my post above).

//Jim

I think a gripper would be slightly easier if it were colied to suit the left hand. I had a look at the spring of a gripper earlier when i closed it with my left and the coils had been forced apart quite a lot compared to my right hand when they were still close to each other.