Strength Of Spiral Nails

Drassk

I bought a box of spiral nails (50lbs worth) to use as bending stock, and warmup stock when I'm a strong guy. On the side it says 60D bright 6" spiral nails. These are harder than all of the G2s I have, so I was wondering how they actually stack up. Are these just timber ties? No home depot around here so I'm not sure what the TTs really are.

I'll mail a couple to any of the guys who are testing various stocks if you'd like. I've got a lot of them to go through so I wouldn't mind knowing where they fall.

All those 6 inch spirals are 60d but some are much stronger. The easy ones I have found come in a square box. The hard ones are in a flat box. The brand is griprite on both. Maybe try to find some 40d they are cheaper and just slightly more difficult than the easy spirals and about the same as G2 bolts. At least mine are.

see, i have really hard G2's then. mine are much harder than a 40D and most TT's. a little under the CRS blue stock im getting. i only found one easy one, and it was ridiculously easy, easiest bend of my life. it was black, and triangular at the head...wierd. with the TT's, more twists=less strength.

TT's vary by the same MFG. I have griprite that are labeled as made in the USA that are much tougher than ones in the exact same box labeled as made in China. The same store may have both on the same shelf. I reccommend you try some from each country and you will get a nice spread of difficulty. I have heard that Canada is also tough.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod...&cmd=si&img=476

Those are TT. Those are TT boxes. They also come in 30lb tubs. I have had 5 twists that took 190lbs to bend (easy), a single 12 twist I found on the shelf that tested to 190lbs, and all these 12 twists (both from my local Lowes in 5lb box and from a Texas Home Depot in 30lb tub) that are about 290lbs! Thats as tough as most of my 60d commons...

TT's vary by the same MFG. I have griprite that are labeled as made in the USA that are much tougher than ones in the exact same box labeled as made in China. The same store may have both on the same shelf. I reccommend you try some from each country and you will get a nice spread of difficulty. I have heard that Canada is also tough.

Yes Canadian nails are tough, hopefully the ones I've been bending are extra tough otherwise I'm a pretty weak bender.