Im Bending Cert.

denver

Rule #3)You are not using any other materials or devices, except for a pair of IronMind's Hand Pads, which can be folded to pad the palms or simply wrapped around the entire nail.

I remeber first reading this and a towel or like material was allowed. Now IM pads are specified as the only allowable material.

Did this rule change within the last month or two, or is my memory off.

Just wondering, thanks

Maybe this is opening a can of worms again (after reading the thread mentioned above) but I think the issue people have with these rule changes is the fact that the game has already started. People don't have problems with rules as long as everyone has to follow them. I'm pissed because I could be certified on the #3 gripper under the old CoC rule right now. It will take longer but I will do it under the new rules. I don't mind the rule, I just mind being on a list with other people that may not be able to close their same gripper under the new rules. So I guess any new benders or closers should say that they were the X number to certify under the new rules. It just makes a mockery of the whole certification process because they (Ironmind) did not think about all the different ways that people may try to close grippers and bend steel. For me personally, if I certified with one set of rules and they changed them, I would wanna make sure I could do the same feat of strength under the new rules.

The "funniest" part of all this is that Randy asked me to "recertify" with the Iron Mind pads long before he officially changed the rules regarding padding.

Although for me personally, the change of wrapping made no difference in my performance.

Randy and I went back and forth via email several times and he said that this leather/folding thing has raised quite a stir in the community and that he has been answering emails and phone calls about it a lot. I'm a little disappointed that leather is no longer being allowed for certification purposes because it is, in my humble opinion, the best thing out there for protecting the palms of your hands.

This rule change should please those who wish to see folding done away with though.

This rule change should please those who wish to see folding done away with though.

If properly wrapped, I'm sure you can bend with your current technique using IM pads or ballistic nylon, Clay. These other two materials are simply a hassle to wrap and keep positioned. And yes, there's a little more pain involved. ;)

If Ironmind wanted to make a ton more money, they wouldn't have changed the rules. Randy is very much aware of how many more grippers he would have sold had he not made the rule about the credit card set, but he really doesn't care about the money. He says it's not about selling grippers, it's about trying to maintain some level of accomplishment and integrity to the lists. Some might say "But what about the 150 #3 closers who certified before the rule change?" You can't assume that they all used deep sets. Deep sets weren't around until a couple years ago.

I'm getting off track here, but my point is that situations change over time. If someone's main goal is to certify on the #3 as soon as possible, they are going to choose the path of least resistance within the scope of the rules. If someone just wants strong hands and uses grippers to train them, then the rules of certification mean nothing to them.

Not that I am out to bend the rules, but in my training recently I have come across a couple different ways to close heavier grippers. They are not "illegal" per se, but there is no rule against them. Theoretically speaking, if I wanted to push the issue and do something controversial, I would certify on the #4 tomorrow using one of these techniques. The certification would go through, the backlash from the grip community would ensue, and when the dust settled a new rule would be added by Monday.

Same deal with these IM pads. The rules don't say I can't use 3 sets of IM pads to cushion the ends of the nail, do they? Heck, if I was running Ironmind and only out to make money, I would encourage people to buy more sets of my bending pads so they could stack 'em up and make bending easier. More pads sold, more reds sold, and more writeups for my webpage. Ka-ching!

Edit: I stand corrected. The rules say that "a pair" of pads can be used. Still, I can get pretty darn creative with just one pair.

Edited by ClayEdgin

Am I right in assuming that IM arranges a judge to witness your bend?

And all you have to buy is a $5 set of pads and some of their reds(20 for $25)? I'd consider that an "entry fee".

Then again this isn't a big deal for me since: 1) I'm no where near bending the red, and 2) I'm not training to get certs, I'm training to bend steel.

just me $.02

Clay,

OK how do you close a gripper using a cheat technique???

I'm at a loss for how this could be done.

Edited by gamidon

Am I right in assuming that IM arranges a judge to witness your bend?

And all you have to buy is a $5 set of pads and some of their reds(20 for $25)? I'd consider that an "entry fee".

Then again this isn't a big deal for me since: 1) I'm no where near bending the red, and 2) I'm not training to get certs, I'm training to bend steel.

just me $.02

technically you only have to buy the pads. The witness Ironmind provides will show up with 3 reds from IronMind.

It's a super secret ninja technique. I can't tell you on the board or else I will be erased.

Good point ClayEdgin

Iam convinced that no matter how they change the rules about

grip training the gripbroad gripper community will find a way to

defeat the new ironmind rules. I think that the KTA program

is good example for profound crativety and giving hope to the #3 cert.

No to mention my Adjustable gripper.

Sweet revenge the victory of closing the #3.

This my thought on the credit card rule. Have the gripper the same

length as the credit card period and made them stronger and mighty stronger

Randy S. We the gripper will find a way to get stronger too and I like

help fron the grip board.