Sledge Work

MeatPlow

Hey guys for those who really work the sledge hard for increasing bending strength whats your workouts like? I bought a Roughneck 6lber just to start with and played with a bit last night. I felt like I was pretty weak with it. I kinked another grade 5 down really far but just couldn't finish it, my wrists were just bombed after thickbar c&p, well honestly I was smoked from fingertips to elbows. I really got to stop trying max bends on everyworkout or I am going to be injured. So Friday I am going to bend up to around 5-10 60ds and do my sledge workout.

So any tips on a good workout with the sledge would be great. At the time I am just doing some front and levering. I am not sure I am doing the levering totally correct either. For the front stuff I just let the hammer hang to my side and with wrist only bring the head up until it is parallel to the floor, same with the rear work. Is this correct?

Your form sounds good for front and rear levers. The other levers I do are side to side, overhead and rotations. For pics of side to side see here

http://www.geocities.com/ltgodfrey/lever.html

For pics of the rotation see here

http://www.ironmind.com/ironcms/opencms/Ir.../griptip20.html

I like triples for 3-5 sets with each exercise. When I am able to complete all the reps I increase the weight. I also do not advocate doing sledge and bending on the same day. If I'm focusing on upping my bending PR I bend twice a week and lever once. If I'm focusing on wrist strength I lever twice a week and bend once. Good luck!

Thanks alot. That gives me a few more to work with. I am going to try to work the sledge hard for the next few months on these exercises and try to just increase the volume of my hard but not max bends. I am not far from the 5 inch grade 5 bolts. I put some serious hurt on one last night but just couldn't finish it off. Thats so sad...

I've found if I lay off bending completely for a month or two and just train sledge really hard that when I return to bending I'm setting huge PR's within a few workouts.

where does the weakness lie when one can't finish a hard bend? I would figure that a 300lbs+ bench presser like myself could surely knock a grade 5 out after a huge kink has been made but it just did not happen. Maybe I really haven't learned to transfer the power to the wrist as many say and I truly don't understand.

Edited by MeatPlow

I don't bench, but I found my crushdown strength really went up when I started training with stones and doing chest closes with my heavier grippers.

Thanks John. I hope I have got what it takes, and remain injury free, to get the IM Red levels. I am not so worried about certifying, (but will if I have the ability and opportunity) but more so for my own satisfaction. You know just as long as you guys know and see I can do it thats enough for me.

I've found if I lay off bending completely for a month or two and just train sledge really hard that when I return to bending I'm setting huge PR's within a few workouts.

That's something that I plan on doing.