Bending Supply Prices

GarytheDino

Here is what I have found and I would like some input and suggestions also.

Local prices.

Timber ties 13 cents single, 5 pounds 9 dollars, 30 pounds 40 dollars about 16 nails per pound. No real savings for bulk about 12 cents a bend.

Grade 2 not worth the price around 30 cents for singles, found $1 per pound clearance 100 weighed 7 pounds= about 7 cents a bend

40d 85cents a pound about 5 cents a bend not sure how many per pound guess around 15.

60d 85 cents a pound 11 per pound 7 cents a bend, 50 pounds for 29.95 = 5 cents a bend.

Grade 5 55cents each single, have seen some 4.5inch on the clearance rack hope 6 inch end up there, they don't have 5.5.

Grade 8 $1.10 for singles.

The Ironmind nails end up costing around 50cents a bend after shipping so does crs in 3 foot lengths local. about 2.50 - 3 dollars for 6 bends.

Red nails about $1

So here is my point......right now my best bend is a grade 5 I'm getting into volume with 60's once a week using up my timber ties, grade 2'sand 40's for warmups. Even if I do 20 bends per workout we are looking at 4 dollars per workout with maybe a test bend at about a buck each...........but once you guys into heavy bends pass the point where 60's are a workout nail what do you do?

Even if you get bulk prices wouldn't all these heavy bends triple the cost of bending? Just wondering if there are other options and also curious if there are better prices out there. I'm not complaining at all.....I think it's a cheap hobby.

Those prices are a little higher than what we got around here:

40d + 60d - .79/lb

Galvanized 60d - 1.19lb

Galvy 50d - 1.09lb

G2 - found some as low as .22 a pop

G5 - .49 a pop or 100 for $25 (good deal)

G8 - .80 a pop

As Big Steve once said, sometimes you will end up with $30 workouts! I think that if you wanted to cut the cost of your bending workouts down you might check into what junk yards have to offer. Someone mentioned recently that they got a 20 foot length of CRS for just a few bucks.

I buy my steel in 20' lengths retail at a local supplier. As of July 7th, 04 - prices were

3/16 HRS was $.06 per ft.

1/4" HRS was $.13 per ft.

5/16 HRS was $.22 per ft

Cutting to 6" would be half that number. They carry everything, of course, that's just what I bought last time and have prices for. CRS is a little more but not a lot. Square stock is available in HRS and CRS also. They'll cut it in half for free so it fits in my van. Buying in length might be worth checking out. You might check out 3/8" aluminum - I bought some a while back that was tempered or something that weighed out a little harder than 1/4" HRS. Most isn't tempered so be careful what you buy. Luck to you

oh man i been getting screwed.....i been paying over 3$ a pound for 60D's, and the same for 40D's. i want G5's but cant find em. all i found were 6 and 5'' G8's. i have only heard of dave morton bending one of those beasts! i might be buying some G5's off jeff peterson. anyone else help me out?

Just buy bulk lengths of steel like climber511 said. That's the cheapest way to bend by far.

Check farm supply stores. They usually have 6 inch G5's and G8's for sale by the pound on the cheap.

:cry:cry

I want to cry now. even the most expensive of those prices is cheap compared to out here!

I wanted to get some IM blue nails $20 US for the nails, $50 for the shipping!!!

Grade 5s $2 each

Anyway looks like i'll just have to stock up in September

Check farm supply stores. They usually have 6 inch G5's and G8's for sale by the pound on the cheap.

I took that advice and stopped at tractor supply. 2.44 per pound for G5 and 3.14 or something like that for G8 but they only went up to 5 inches. I figure they can order me some 6 inch but I was in a hurry and didn't ask. I don't need any in bulk for a little while. But it sounds like an ok deal when I do need some.

Thanks for all the tips guys.

I get most my bolts from

the bolt guy from work.

Usually $20 per hundred G5 and G8.

Usually the LE brand.

Get 60ds from a local hardware store

81 cents a lb.

Timberties were $32.00 for 30lb. bucket.

40ds I don't remember what i paid. I'm out of those.

Definately go to your local steel scrap yard. Mine only offers used hrs, but the new crs is dirt cheap (compared to home depot and such). A 10' piece of 1/4" hrs was like 42 cents if I remember correctly. I recently purchased new 20' pieces of 3/16 square crs, 1/4" crs and 5/16" crs and the bill was like 9 or 10 bucks.