Im Blue Nail?

bigmatt

I have been bending on and off for about 6 months. A friend and I would go down to Home Depot and get ¼” cold rolled steel rod and cut it down to 6”. Now I can bend it in under 20 seconds and on a good day under 10 seconds to well under 2 inches! So the other day I bought some IM Blue nails just so my friend and me could be on the same page as every one else. Well thinking I could do them in the same fashion as the ones I have done before I was stumped bad!! I tried my hardest and hurt my hand and only got it to about 70 degrees! So my question is why the hell is the (BLUE) so much harder than the stock I got at the depot?

Thank you for your help in advance!!

Matt :rock

Lots of inconsistency between different manufacturer's stocks of CRS. Some HRS is tougher.

The CRS I have is ridiculous.

-Jedd-

I'd say the Home Depot stock cut to 5" is about as tough as an average blue. Just keep cutting yours down and you'll be there in no time.

I'd say the Home Depot stock cut to 5" is about as tough as an average blue. Just keep cutting yours down and you'll be there in no time.

I agree, in my experience most if not all store bought quarter inch stock is easier than the IM blue/yellow material. I remember myself having the same rude wake-up call when, after being confident of multiple 1/4" hrs bends at 6 inches, being spanked by the IM blue. Either cut down the 1/4" as squeeze said, or first try the IM yellow, which to me is tougher than most store bought hrs at 1/4" x 6". Also, look for crs rather than hrs, which MAY be tougher. The ace hardware and home depot where I live has both hrs and crs lengths of 1/4" stock clearly labeled.

I bought 1/4 inch cold rolled steal before in home depot, and it was super hard to bend. it was harder than the IM blue nail. :dry

hmm.....i must be in for a suprise. i have been bending 6x1/4'' CRS, and thinking i had the same as a blue. maybe i wont be so shocked, since my dad works in a nuke plant and gets me stock as hard as the 60D;s i have :D .....almost forgot. form everything i have heard, FBBC stock is much harder than IM's stock.

I can't find 1/4" CRS out here that is as tough as an IM blue.

If FBBC has hard 1/4" stock I may have to pick up a bunch in September.

Actually just finding good stuff to bend in Sydney is a pain in the ass.

I recently ran into some HRS stock at Ace Hardware that seemed pretty darn tough for HRS. Most of that stock is now abliterated. Also guys don't count out zince plated steel. Normally, it is just shy, but noticably shy, of CRS. Zince plated steel doesn't get very hot and isn't very springy, in my experiences. I've talked to some serious long time benders in chat and they've never even considered zince plated steel. I got some CRS stock from tractor supply, mostly from a long time ago when I was new to bending. I don't have much to compare it with but I'd venture a guess that it is average and the 3/16th stock from there was probably sissy as I bent green nail equivalents when I first started and I'm still working on the yellow.

I recently bought some 60d's from hell at Lowe's. If I can get these things unbraced, I should be ready for a grade 5. Which leads me into a question about bending stock, if lengths of steel are steel, how come their iron nail equivalents are harder to bend? Now most timber ties are easier than a blue, but I haven't heard of true 60ds being easier than blues on this board.

A true 60d is usually just a little over 1/4" in diameter. This might account for their being strong than 1/4" steel.