Bending And Grippers

JohnOBrien

I just started hitting the grippers relatively heavy (for me) going from basically no gripper training to just finishing the first week of KTA. Has anyone else lost any bending ability? I can still take reds, but they seem much more difficult since I've been gripping. Wondering if this is normal, or if I'm just being a wimp...

I'm hardly a bending or crush monster but what i've found is that bending and crush interfere with each other quite badly.

Even a day or two after a heavy bending session my crush is useless and vice versa. Therefore at the moment i'm focussing on one thing at a time.

I think it depends on what style you use. Underhand seems to be the most forgiving on crush and can actually help your crush at times.

Austin

Yup, bending overhand and crushing will interfere with each other.

I would be interested in what splits or ideas people are using that are helping them increase both simotanously. When I was bending old terminator style I seemed to do best with crush on one day and bending the next. With underhand it doesnt matter a whole lot.

Mob and others what are you doing?

I can't crush since I got hooked on bending. I'm not a grip whore though, I stick with one thing at a time. :D

My biggest problem is leaving enough time between bending sessions more than any other aspect of my grip. Right now I'm trying every 4th day (Mon-Thurs-Sun-Weds etc ).

I'm currently bending once a week and doing grippers twice weekly. On the bending day I do the grippers immediately after bending and have found that the bending primes my hands for bending. Now when I used the reverse grip technique of bending it was quite a different story.

Bending kills the crush if you use vertical style and/or double overhand style.

I retired from bending once I took down the Blue Nail so that I could focus on the grippers.

Thanks for the input guys. Glad to know that my case is not that unusual. I've backed off on the bending to once a week and am doing the KTA program the other six days of the week. Depending on the recovery of my hands, I may have to drop the bending altogether for a bit as I pursue the #3...