Putting On A Small Demonstration

GarytheDino

At work I try not to bring up what I do for a hobby. Sometimes it just comes up. The younger guys sometimes ask what I can do or have done, I really don't like to talk about it because you here so much crap. But the difference between these guys is that they have seen me load up the leg press until the weights feel off the ends and then I had to put some on top. They know I have a competitive background. Noone knows the whole story though. Just bits and peices. Like the general public though, I don't think they really know much about the subject, and when the rumors start they tend to exagerate what I can do.

We all look about the same size, and I doubt some even believe them. I just thought it might be cool to pull an easy wrench out of my lunch box or pocket and bend it. I don't really want to find a corner to warm up in for a heavy bend or possibly get hurt. I just think it would be cool to bend an easy wrench without straining just to give them a little more to talk about.

Maybe I should just let the rumors keep flying and keep quite.

What would you do?

i would do it gary. some people will ridicule you no matter what you do, but others will be responsive and supportive. if you can awaken someone to this wonderful thing we got here, then more power to you. i was talking about nail bending to my high school science teacher, who is a big lifter and a farm boy like me. he got me to bring in some nails and before long we had a bunch of people gathering to bend on lunch brakes. try it and see how it goes.

Unleash the power, otherwise Its like owning a fancy sports car but never driving it

Take some nails and stuff with you and make it more instructional, they will love it I assure you...Brett

Gary funny you bring this up because just the other day I did a small bending demo at work because I had told a couple of guys about my grip hobby and they seemed interested. I told them I would do it after lunch, so I go to their cube and there are about 15-20 people all crowded around...people standing on chairs...people I didnt even know. My boss is there and he calls in the branch manager to see it too (no pressure :ohmy ). I first passed the bolts around so people could verify their strength then bent a few 6x1/4 inch bolts, and a 6x5/16 threaded. Everybody loved it and thought it was very cool & amazing. Of course they have no frame of reference and none of them are serious athletes but so far the response has all been very positive. My boss is joking about me putting on another demo at the next branch meeting.

PS what kind of wrenches are considered "easy wrenches"?

Go for it Gary! I did some bends for my boss at my last job and he loved it.

mANVIL - Easy wrenches are the ones from the dollar store

Go for it Gary! I did some bends for my boss at my last job and he loved it.

mANVIL - Easy wrenches are the ones from the dollar store

Yeah, the dollar store wrenches. A 6" adjustable that is a little stronger than a 40d, takes a little effort but no big warm up and looks cool. It snaps in half if you go all the way.

Do you live in a big city and can you tear phone books well? I could see an opportunity there if you wanted to be "casual" and just throw out a "wonder if I can tear this" RIP "I guess so"

I say go for it, it would be fun.

Do you live in a big city and can you tear phone books well? I could see an opportunity there if you wanted to be "casual" and just throw out a "wonder if I can tear this" RIP "I guess so"

I say go for it, it would be fun.

That sounds like a good one, but if you want to go with a bend you might as well. If you want too look casuall about it try finding a use for the wrench (this could be easy or dificult depending on where you work) then get pissed (stripped nut ?) off at it and SNAP.

Gary, just walk in with your bag of nails and have a workout. In the prime time hour of the gym. The nails will do all the talking. Plus you might makes some new friends. Do not do an ez $ store wrench because someone will find one and do it and make you out as a joke then it makes the sport look bad. Just smile alot while your face turns a pretty red. Their might be some kids there who will look up to you and not end up going the wrong way in life because you took the time with them. You have a gift learn to share it. ;)