Hose Clamp Weakening The Grippers?

nagual

I usually only train grippers with a choker, actually a hose clamp which I have fastened on the gripper handles at all time, setting the gripper handles at parallell.

I've started to wonder if this perpetual tension the spring is subjected to would weaken it over time....

Thoughts?

(I remember there was a post about this a couple of months ago, but couldn't find it)

PDA found that keeping the gripper closed for long periods of time (such as in a vice or choker) did not weaken the gripper or produce any ill effect.

A gripper does get "seasoned" over the first 70 closings or so, after which it is slightly easier to close as compared to when new. After the 70 closings, the seasoning tapers off so there's not much of a further reduction in torque required to close.

PDA found that keeping the gripper closed for long periods of time (such as in a vice or choker) did not weaken the gripper or produce any ill effect.

A gripper does get "seasoned" over the first 70 closings or so, after which it is slightly easier to close as compared to when new. After the 70 closings, the seasoning tapers off so there's not much of a further reduction in torque required to close.

Good to hear. I wonder though if this is the case when concerning an extended period of time, say about a couple of years...

I use a choker on my "seasoned" grippers for a while now and haven't found any weakening, I don't leave the choker on when I'm not training either

Modern quality springs have a remarkable "memory" retaining capabiliy. And can take a lot of abuse. When new springs are seasoned, after 30-80 contractions, and their individual caracteristics shows, they tend to keep going unchanged for a very, very long time indeed.

Nothing last forever, of course.The more stress on a spring, the more fatique over time. And a hose clamp certainly causes stress - but so do ordinary contractions.

Eventually a spring WILL weaken. The decisive factors are the quality of the steel, the manufacturing process and how long and how much stress (time + pressure + movements).

The fact that the choker keeps your gripper handles parallel relieve a little of the potentiel max pressure which one may really first reach with fully close, radically shaved grippers (here the movement of the springs legs eventually may reach abuse/breaking point)

So, yes over time - a l-o-n-g t-i-m-e- chockers and filing of handles will weaken grippers a little earlier than ordinary use - but most likely so little that you may not even notice it. It should be of no practical concern.

(If things never the less do go wrong, grippers are nice examples of low cost, easy replaceable technology...)

I, too, use hose clamps and heavely shaved handles - and I don't worry a bit.

PS: My knowledge of springs comes from guns and shooting: Years ago concern was raised about the reliability/capability of modern springs in fully loaded and more or less permanently stored gun magasines. Most data showed the concern was rather unfounded - provided we talk about quality springs not stressed to the outmost: Just leave one round less in the mag i order not to overexert, oversqueeze the spring. I would compare that to keeping the handles of a quality gripper in just parallel position).