Horseshoes

MEB Boy

As per another post, I also have a few questions about horseshoes that I hope some of you can answer. What do the numbers mean or stand for? What is the basic classification system used for horseshoes?

I did a Google search on horseshoes, and just found endless sites or articles about horseshoes but I never saw any info on the classification or numbers system.

I have one small, old rusty horseshoe that about 5 inches or so. I got it from a thrift shop in an old rural town. It doesn't have any number on it though. I have tried about 3-4 times to bend it and the last time I got one arm bent about 15 degrees or so, but I can't budge it anymore.

I've seen some of the videos of some of you all twisting horseshoes 180 degrees or so....very, very impressive.

thanks,

MEB Boy

Quicky overview....

Horseshoes go from 000 to 00 to 0 to 1 to 2 to 3 to....up to 8 i think. These are their sizes. 000 being the smallest U and 8 being the largest U. An 8 would also be thicker than a 000 in general. They are also different designations such as LITE which means less material for a given size, typically there is a groove or channel that runs through the center of the shoe in a LITE and not so in a regular. There is also a HEEL or similar type designation that means there are knobs on the heel of the shoe, I suppose for better traction. These would be a major pain (literally) when bending. So as a rundown, in general, a 0 is smaller than a 1 and a 1 LITE would have a groove in it (and thus a little less steel) than a 1. So, a 4 would be much harder to bend (in general now, everything varies, just like nails) than say a 00 LITE. But, the smaller shoe maybe harder to get ahold of, just like a 60d VS a 16D nail - much thicker harder steel but the 16D is so small it is hard to bend too. I think that is all true :) Please correct or add to if need be. Good luck bending shoes, they can be tough and I think form has alot to do with it. 1 thing I know for sure, used shoes are much easier than new - they wear down right where you want to bend em.

Thanks,

I gave up trying to learn the classification systam after looking through about 50 Horseshoe sites from Google.

thanks,

MEB Boy

I just posted a pic of a bent shoe, 0 lite I think. It was a little worn but still pretty hard to bend. The shoes do vary a lot and I've bent a few that were harder than that one (though I wasn't able to mangle them as much). I'm looking for some new (unworn) shoes to buy that I could maybe work up with if anyone has a link.

If you've got it 15 degrees don't stop there man. I find that if I can bend the things any more than just a flex, than I can finish em off... Takes a lot of sweat though.

AP,

Sorry for the late response. I was out of town this week.

That's a cool picture of a mangled horseshoe. I'm not even anywhere close to that yet. The 15 degree bend took me about 1 minute or so....but I was exhasuted, and my wrists and hands were fryed and the shoe never again even budged anymore. I may try again sometime in the next couple weeks. I've been hitting the block weights the last few weeks, so I may have a go again soon.

thanks for the reply AP,

MEB Boy

"I'm not even anywhere close to that yet."

Horseshoes vary so much, I wouldn't be able to tell you if you could do it or not. I was able to mangle it so much because it was a fairly easy shoe, I've gotten harder ones that only "S" and others that I still can't seem to get started. It's just the luck of the draw, your shoe just might be a beast.

Leonardo Da Vinci could straighten a horseshoe. Genius? Strong hands? Well I never!

Leonardo Da Vinci could straighten a horseshoe.

If he could straighten a horseshoe, WHO bent it in the first place? ;)