Im Red Nail Rule Clarification/modification

Clay Edgin

Not trying to open another can of worms, but I looked at the Ironmind site today and the rules for suitable wraps has been changed. Now, the only suitable wraps for red nail certifications are the Ironmind pads.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldGuy

• CMunger

• jad

• Zach Passman

Well, we knew it was coming. Oh well, one more IM certification I no longer care about.

The leather makes it pretty pain-free.

Using the IM pads won't really hold anyone back for long, if they're close. Just have to pay more attention to keeping the material in place.

standardazation to me would be something like..."only this style of bending" or something like that. but to say that you have to use thier pads is silly.

There is definintly more of a pain factor with just the pads. With about 10 inches worth of towel added to the pads, I was bending 6" peices of 5/16th home depot stock, but with just the pads, grade 5 is it. This is of coarse, for the high DO style. I dont see it making drastic differences in other styles. My two yen.

Pretty soon it will undergo more changes.

This will not hold back as many people as they want it too.

Hopefully this will drive business towards Fat Bastard since they also offer certifications and don't require you to buy "Official Fat Bastard pads" to bend with.

More changes will come I'm sure, as more and more people smoke reds....especially if they are all gripboarders. I'm just hoping they don't change too much before I get there :)

before too long they will be making you bend a red behind your back, while playing a harmonica, and standing on your damn head, all of course closely watched by ironmind reps with police stun guns :blink ............ah, isnt this fun? :D

The pads are $5, $11 if you have to pay for shipping because they are the only thing you buy from Ironmind. It removes a source of signifigant variation from the certification. Given that they are setting up a witness and all that, I don't think it's such a big expense to pay to put everyone on equal ground. And this is assuming they don't send a pair of the pads to the witness.

What I do find interesting in the rules is their description of the recognized ways to bend the red:

"There are several recognized methods for legitimately bending an IronMind Red Nail:

hands at waist level, bending the nail downward into a U

hands at chest level, bending the nail downward into a U

hands at head or chest level, bending the nail upward into a U"

It appears the person maintaining Ironmind's Red rules is either unaware of or deliberately avoiding mention of the much stronger style Eric has popularized, which is bending the nail outward into a U.

Well, at least you don't have to wrap credit cards around the ends.

Brian

NICE :tongue

Edited by bigmatt

Only because I'm interested in knowing of any possible leverage advantages gained by the various wrapping materials, I'd like to know if there are any Red benders who can't bend the nail using only the Iron Mind padding??? My guess is that if it's wrapped in the manner described above (folded in thirds and then rolled) the answer would be "no".

I find that when the IM pads are new they supply more of a padding effect, though not as much as a thicker ballistic nylon or some of the leathers. Folding the IM pads into fourths will make the padding a bit thicker, and provides just enough padding to grasp effectively, atleast for my average sized hands.

I was just getting comfortable with the leather wraps, but will order some new cordura and get after it. I do not think this will personally set me back that much, maybe a couple of weeks at best and a month at the worst. Next bending session I will try the IM pads alone and see what happens.

Well guys, if Randall is not achieving what he wants with stricter padding then the next thing to go may well be double overhand under the chin, regardless of whether it is folding or non-folding styles.

I can bend a Red with just the IM pads, but it takes a bit longer and hurst a LOT more. Definitely wouldn't try two reds back-to-back with just the IM pads, I'd need more time to recover.

someone bend one without pads... Dosent brookfeild do that?

someone bend one without pads... Dosent brookfeild do that?

go ahead and take the lead on that.

Eric Godfrey bends without pads... if I'm not mistaken.