Benny Wins First Event, Grippers

Mikael Siversson

Just heard Benny won the grippers event but may, due to inexperience with the formula point system, have put himself in big trouble for taking the overall titel. Benny closed a 3.54 BBE righty and a 3.22 BBE lefty for a total of 6.76 but stopped after three attempts (five attempts allowed),as he felt no one could threaten him in grippers. Big mistake as one needs to score as much points as possible in all events. I suspected this would happen and tried to call Arne before the event started but could not get through. Anyway, German Florian closed the hardest gripper, a 3.65 BBSE. Not sure if Benny would have closed harder grippers though. I expected that he would get the 3.65 righty and the 3.22 lefty so his winning results were close to that I thought they would be. Arne did not have time to tell me how the others did other than that Florian closed the 3.65 righty but would have gotten a 3.00 lefty at the most as this is the next one down in difficulty after the 3.22 BBE.

Doing my best to keep you updated. :rock

The Swedes dominated the gripper event by taking first (Benny Wennberg) and third (Johan Albrektsson). German Florian Kellersmann took second with 6.65 (3.65 BBSE righty+ 3.00 #3 lefty). Johan did 6.60 (3.38 BBE righty+ 3.22 BBE lefty). David Horne 6th with 6.07 (3.38 BBE righty + 2.69 PDA gripper lefty).

That's a shame for Benny. I would have thought that Benny, a seasoned strength sports competitor, would have studied the rules before the competition. I doubt that he will make that mistake again!

Florian is looking good. Perhaps this won't be the two horse race that many predicted....

Thanks for the update Mikael. Keep 'em coming :)

Well problem is Benny is used to the strongman points system. I told Arne about a million times to tell Benny how it worked. I could have done no more. At least Benny knows about it now going into the second event. I think Benny might have been able to close the 3.65 righty but he did not try it. Competing is also about making sure one understands the rules beforehand.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

I can't remember. I will ask Arne next time he calls. He did mention Dave though, the Swizz, doing well. I suspect Steve placed 7th or worse as both Dave and Jonas are likely to have beaten him (as a result of a "weak" left hand; which you can't afford to have in an allroundgrip strength comp.).