Eating An Apple

Scott Styles

Grab half of the apple in each hand and twist opposite directions. The apple will pop apart with a satisfying crack, impressing unsuspecting onlookers. Who needs a knife?

Did you get this from The Mighty Men of Old website under Brienbart's physical culture course? That's where I found it.

Yes, longways. My friend actually showed it to me a few months ago and I thought of it while eating my apple today. His tap instructor was from eastern Europe and he saw her do it one day. When he asked she said that was how she learned to eat an apple. She didn't think anything special of it.

I just did a Chilean Fuji with a 2 3/4" lengthwise diameter. Is this good? :laugh

I didn't get the popping sound... probably because my fingers dug into the bottom. I think the smaller apples may be harder.

i am having some trouble with this i have been trying for a while, i think the apples im using are too small, they arre little granny smiths and i can get a good grip on it

The one I used was a gala apple, about 2.5" in diameter. Got a granny smith for lunch today about 3" in diameter. We'll see if I can do it.

Did my granny smith, but it was kind of messy. The apple wasn't real crisp and my fingers ended up smashing it as I broke it. Firmer apples seem to work better.

I will just have to stick at it then, do you twist real fast? cos i seem to be unable to explode into it my power seems more progressive, i think speed may be king here

The apples I've been able to do, I've done by progressively applying more pressure. I had a gala apple that wasn't very ripe yesterday, and it stopped me dead in my tracks. After bruising it a bunch of times, I resigned myself to eating it normally.

I tried it on one, but it was getting too soft and it just mushed pretty bad. I will pickup some fresh ones and have a go. Whats the worst thing, you have to eat some apples? I think thats one of those impressive things that you can use as an icebreaker or to impress somebody w/o just coiming out and saying "im stronger than you punk"....

Try crushing them with one hand without digging fingers in ,it will last a while ,then all of a sudden cracks then mushes.

Good exercie for gripper strength.

Chris, do you employ the same technique on watermelons? ;)

I tried it last night to no avail. It probably didn't help that the only apples I had around the house were really small about 2" in diamter. I got a satisfying crunch before they turned to mush, but they didn't come apart cleanly. I suppose I should get bigger apples

I managed it l;ast night! The apple was fairly large comparded to the ones i have been struggling with, it took everything i had but it went

LOL....i used to do this in highschool. Then everyone would bring me their apple in the morning. It was a lot of fun back then. For thos that keep smashing their apple, pull out the stem and squeez both your thumbs where the stem used to be, then either twist or just pull. If you need a better grip just push thumbs in further :D

• 4 weeks later...

Got it! And a big mess all over my desk. I think I squeezed too hard. It half split, half crushed! :blush