5/16" All Thread

MeatPlow

Looking around my shop I have found 5 peices of all thread that are 5/16"- 2-7in, 1-6in and 2-5in cuts. Is there anyway to tell what grade these are? I took them to a guy over in another shop and he said he wasn't sure but he thought they were either G2 or G5 but not sure. Any ideas on how to tell?

What's the marking on the head of the bolt? If it has 3 lines, it's grade 5, if not, it's grade 2.

Allthread doesn't have a bolt head :)

I've found some all-thread hex head bolts with no markings. I assumed they were G2's but KerbJr corrected me. If that is what you have, be careful because they will snap on you. I split my lip and gashed my gum when one snapped on me!

Well if they're not bolts my assumption would be that they're not graded. In my experience fully threaded steel is not that much tougher than unthreaded steel 1/16" smaller.

hmmm...so let see, I bent two 60d common nails last night which I assume are 1/4" correct? I'll give my hands a day or two to rest up and then I'll give the 7" peice a go and see what happens.

Also on the toughness of the 60d I bent last night, they are identical to the 60d nail Heath Sexton gave me that I kinked a few nights ago. The only difference I think is the little lines under the head. I think they were the Grip Rite brand maybe... sort of dark.

Hey guys can you tell me what I have got here, I also have a 6"x5/16" carriage bolt with the marking 307A W.T on the head, what is this? I kinked it last night but couldn't finish it after the 60ds. I can do it tomorrow I think.

• 2 weeks later...

That's the marking for a Crown Bolt Co. grade 2. The 307A, I mean. At least as far as I can tell. All the CBC grade 2 bolts (hex and carriage) have that marking on them.

The other letters are the factory where it's made. The ones I have are labelled with CYI or SBY. The SBY bolts are significantly harder. Not like grade 5 hard, but the CYI bolts feel like butter by comparison. The 5/16" CYI threaded bolts feel like the 1/4" SBY hex-heads, although a bit easier.

I can't really compare them to HRS stock, since my stock is all CRS and it's much harder than the bolts.

I ran across some ungraded all thread "bolts" in a hardware store. Just for the heck of it I took a 5/16" length and with not much effort kinked the thing bare handed. :blink At that point I figured I'd better just get some steel.