Pda Sos Grippers

mingmen

see several gripper brands popping up here consistantly but I haven't seen the PDA SOS grippers mentioned. I admit I haven't scoured the site but...

Any thoughts on these?

Short answer: good grippers.

Long answer: A few of us at work ordered a variety of PDA SOS grippers in a single order. Nice grippers, one big surprise. Of two 280s ordered, one was TONS easier than the other - even easier than a 262. We mic'd them and found that the easy 280 was actually .259 ??? I'm sure PDA would have replaced it, but he kept it as a strange artifact -maybe it will be worth tons of money on e-bay!

The following are minor issues, but unlike Warren's very nicely imprinted handle bottoms, PDAs imprintings made it difficult to immediately read gripper size, and were sometimes barely readable and sometimes marked off-center. Each gripper is marked with "PDA", the gripper model #, a serial number, and owner's initials. And each gripper was marked a different way. Example:

one handle end: PDA, serial #. other handle end: 243, initials

one handle end: initial, serial #. other handle end: 280H, PDA

one handle end: PDA, 262. other handle end: serial #, initials

etc.

Some grippers had the imprinting all in the same direction, some had the imprinting facing each other. Since the serial numbers are three digits, and the model number is three digits, the only way to tell the difference in gripper strengths by reading the handle ends is to memorize all the PDA wire sizes.

But in the big scheme of things, the imprinting is a minor issue - just the "elegance" factor. The PDA grippers are well constructed and look as new after continued used.

My understanding is that PDA tolerances are:

1) angle of handle spread tol = +- 2 degrees; this approximately equates to +- 3/16" handle spread

2) wire diam tol = +- .002"

3) depthtol (i.e. handle set) = +- 1/16"

Assume other manufacturers achieve similar bounds ... maybe a big assumption!

My calc's indicate these probable errors translate to about 13% to 15% errors in force-to-close.

Then, applying to the CoC#1 (target ~140 lbs FTC), an actual #1 could be off +- 20lbs. And, a #3 could be off +- 40lbs FTC. Same idea can be applied to a PDA and account for the wide discrepancy in feel you are experiencing.

See some of my other posts for an indication of how I determine these approximate ranges.

Also, I believe I've seen somewhere either on the Internet or in this Gripboard, that FTC might be off ~10->20%, depending on how careful the gripper is made.

My best guess for the Tetting MM series is that they might be off by < +-1% FTC, which is amazing if he can pull that off. To get that statement I assumed,

1) +- .005" handle spread error

2) 0%, wire diam error (assuming same wire stock)

3) +- .005" coil diam error

4) +- .005" handle depth

This is an old topic, search the Gripboard archive.

I thought John got out of the gripper business?

He is a member of the board. John Szymanksi or something similar.

-Jedd-

I thought John got out of the gripper business?

He is a member of the board. John Szymanksi or something similar.

-Jedd-

They still sell 2 different strengths of grippers, which can also be had unassembled.

I just got mine this morning. I got a 243 and 262, hoping to get one between the 1 and 2, one between the 2 and 3. They are the perfect strength. The knurling is a bit smoother than the COCs, I'm not sure yet if this is good or bad. The COCs do look nicer.

I like the smoother knurling on the SOS grippers. It's quite a bit easier on the hands. These bridge the gaps well. I'm very happy with them.

I have the PDA .280 and like someone else said, it's almost impossible to read the marking on the handles. There are far too many things marked on the handles for me to make much sense of them. In fact, I believe the wire size is mismarked on mine as well. The only number listed on one of the handles is 342...and I know the diameter is almost identical to a #3...

I do like the gripper and it's a hard one to close. Perfect hop before the #3. And it's VERY close in strength to the #3s that I've tried. Couldn't be more than 10% easier, if that.

• 3 weeks later...

Call our kind sponsor, PDA