Other Bending Styles

deaner

I was wondering if anyone was training to bend the red with any technique besides double overhand?

I am training both double OH, and underhand at this point and time. Should get a red within a week OH, and am close to grade 8 UH.....Even though I am stronger OH I prefer underhand...Brett

Big Steve and Dave Ostlund both go UH. Probably some others as well, but those two sprang to mind...

How far do you have to start a bar underhand for it to count as underhand, as everyone needs to finish the bar flipped over? Just curious. Dave O's bend is one of the sickest coolest bends I've seen.

I'm wondering how many people are going to try to bend OH with a minimal gap between their fingers, say 1-1.5 inches, or even with their fingers touching? No disrespect intended to anyone, but it's not even a comparison relative to difficulty.

How far do you have to start a bar underhand for it to count as underhand, as everyone needs to finish the bar flipped over?  Just curious.  Dave O's bend is one of the sickest coolest bends I've seen.

I'm wondering how many people are going to try to bend OH with a minimal gap between their fingers, say 1-1.5 inches, or even with their fingers touching?  No disrespect intended to anyone, but it's not even a comparison relative to difficulty.

The video of him bending the drill bit is pretty damn cool :blink

Drill bit bend

Edited by maidenfan

I'm wondering how many people are going to try to bend OH with a minimal gap between their fingers, say 1-1.5 inches, or even with their fingers touching? No disrespect intended to anyone, but it's not even a comparison relative to difficulty.

What's the biggest steel you can bend with the "folding" style Double overhand? What's the biggest steel you can bend with the minimal gaps double overhand? Just trying to put some numbers to the difficulty levels. Thanks

60d the best I can do with your old style, G8 with the "folding" DO.

I'm wondering how many people are going to try to bend OH with a minimal gap between their fingers, say 1-1.5 inches, or even with their fingers touching?  No disrespect intended to anyone, but it's not even a comparison relative to difficulty.

That is how I bend OH (about 1-1.5 inches apart and no push on the ends of the bar). I am not very strong starting OH this way but OK using it after first having given it a good kink using the reverse style. Never injured myself with the reverse style but I once slipped while starting OH (non-folding style) and hurt my left wrist. I think my forearms are too long perhaps for the OH style as there is no way I can get the bar under my chin.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

I cannot get the bar under my chin either. If ever I was to get serious about bending which I probably won't, I will adopt the underhand style.

Who says you need to get the bar under your chin? :rolleyes

Definitely a ton more leverage there but not necessary.......

You are right Pat, there is no need to bend under the chin. It's just that many seem to do that. I hold the nail at the base of the breast bone level.

Anyone getting close to bending (kinking) a red reverse, vertical or slim style?

Btw, what was brookfields style? I've looked at the pictures and it seems to be a reverse or slim style, but I can't make out which.

Hey there Terminator, more then what you can bend, I am curious as to the differences between having your hands close and far apart. For example, do you push into the ends of the bar at all, or are the palms only applying force downwards while the fingers act as a fulcrum? Is the only main difference that you have 3 fingers on the bar as compared to 2? Just curious. Any input is appreciated!

I can still only begin my bends with an over/under. I simply can't kink with a double over. I'm pretty sure I'm only 2-3 weeks from a red this way. Over/under(just kinking), I've put a solid bend into the red, a G8, and a short 5.

Anybody else doing this, or has everyone moved onto double over, or double under for the start?

Thai, I still bend the way you described, 'old terminator'. I doubt I'll change either, it feels like a lot of wrist, and I don't have to press the bar against my chest. When i switch to double over, my hands are under my chin butI try to stay off my chest. Good luck with that red!!!

I can kink a red reverse style hands about 2 inches apart. Hands touching double

underhand i'm not quite getting a 60d yet but wont be long. I wont even try the double overhand folding style with a red, everything I've bent that style has made me laugh at the difficulty but cringe at the pain in my palms. There is no comparing hands on the end of the nail to hands together. Anyone have the link to Shrgs red bend?

I can kink a red reverse style hands about 2 inches apart. Hands touching double

underhand i'm not quite getting a 60d yet but wont be long. I wont even try the double overhand folding style with a red, everything I've bent that style has made me laugh at the difficulty but cringe at the pain in my palms. There is no comparing hands on the end of the nail to hands together. Anyone have the link to Shrgs red bend?

Shrug's 3 Red bends are here:

http://www.dieselcrew.com/videos/shrug_0002.wmv

T!

Thank you for the link that was awesome. Hard to dispute that bend! Same with Dave O. and Big Steve. World class bending as the red should be.

Very true. I bend the reverse old Terminator style as I feel it is very hard on the wrists. The underhand also feels very hard on my wrists and as such should be a great exercise. I am determined to bend a IM white nail double underhand before the end of the year. :blush