Having Troubles

JustinH

I am having troubles doing any bending. What muscles are involved in bending? Is there anything that I can do to increase my bending strength other than keep trying to bend? If anyone has any techniques, training ideas or anything else please post it or even pm me.

Try different techniques to see what works best for you, different strokes for diff folks. Bending is the best way to get stronger at bending, start with high reps of lighter stock to get form down ,then work your way up to the heavier stuff. Anything that strengthens your hands or wrists will aide your bending. My 2 favorites are block weights and sledge work....It takes time so be patient...Brett

I bent a 4 inch nail the other night(I guess that is a 40 penny nail?) with not too much effort. I think I have an idea of how to bend now. The way I did it was first put the head part into my left hand and the sharp part into my right. I then used my right hand to pull down. I found that this is the only way for me to not get the sharp end poking through my hand. It was a little difficult and I could feel the strain but I got it well past the 2 inch mark(which I guess is what a legal bend is?). I tried the 60 penny nail but I cant even kink it yet. I'll buy a sledghammer as soon as I can and work with that. Is there anything between a 40 penny nail and a 60 penny nail? I would think that there is a 5 inch, 50 penny nail.

6" x 1/4" grade 2 hex head bolts, timber ties (8 or 12 twist) would both be good to try. Or best bet would be to get some 1/4" hrs from a hardwear store and cut it to different lengths, say 6-7" get a couple six foot sections and a bolt cutter or hacksaw.

whatever you bent, it was not a 40D. 40's are 5'', and 50D's are 5.5''. still good job on the accomplishment. i think you might have bent a 20D. 60D's seem intimidating at first, but keep at it and they will melt like a coat hanger. best of luck.

whatever you bent, it was not a 40D. 40's are 5'', and 50D's are 5.5''. still good job on the accomplishment. i think you might have bent a 20D. 60D's seem intimidating at first, but keep at it and they will melt like a coat hanger. best of luck.

Maybe it was a 30 D, I'll try and find a 40D and a 50D. I think I may also get some timber ties and grad 2 bolts. I guess it wouldn't hurt to get some of long hrs.

Get those timber ties in the 5lb square box at home depot. The ones in the flat box are about as strong as a 60d. The easier ones are good to start with.

I just pretty much easily did two more of those 4 inchers in a row. I'm going to a couple of hardware stores tommorrow to find something a little harder. I'll get that 60 penny within this year for sure, then on to something harder than that.

You just have to get the ends to have two inches or less between them right?

I guess I'll just have to get my hands more conditioned, it sure bruises them quite a bit. Oh well it's good to have a pair of man hands, unlike all these primped up girly men these days.

I just read the bending rules and I did everything like it said so I'm good to go now. It's odd because when I first tried bending a few weeks ago or months I could only kink the 4 inchers. I have no idea what I have done in the past while to get me that much better. I sure haven't been doing any bending since then.

Found out that the 4" nails were only 20d, that really sucks. I found some 5 inch nails, I guess they are 40d. I live in Canada so we don't go by pennys, one guy at the store I went with me to a storage room where they said the penny on the box. I had to go to another store for the 40d's, I bought a few galvanized(apparently easier) and some regular. I guess I'll have to work with these until I can bend the 60d.