Giving Back

hublifter

I met the 2004 Lightweight Masters Strongman National champion yesterday. We were introduced by a mutual friend. He had contacted me earlier and asked me to get him started in bending. He wants to include feats of strength in his talks to young people at his church. Imagine, a National strongman champion asking me for advice! When we met, I found we had things in common. Both of us have shaven heads and goatees, we are both family men, and we both love strength. I gave him 50 of the easy timber ties from the 30 pound bucket from Home Depot, and some 1/4" Crown Bolt stock from Home Depot cut to 8". I started out showing how to wrap the nail, then talked about how bending is about the transfer of bodily strength through the wrists. I showed him the three styles with which I'm familiar, Terminator, overhand and underhand. He handled the timber ties from Home Depot easily in Terminator style. He also easily handled the 8" Crown Bolt stock in Terminator style. I cut this stock to 7" and he bent that as well. He noted the stress in the wrists with the 7" piece, understanding what I meant by the importance of wrist strength. I bent a 14 twist timber, an easy 60d from Lowes, then an Ironmind Blue. I did these in the underhand style. With the way he handled the 7" x 1/4" Crown Bolt stock, I can see him bending the IM Blue in less than 2 months.

I emphasized the importance of building a base of tendon and ligament strength. I told him that this is important not only for strength output, but for injury prevention. We talked about other aspects of strength and found that we had other things in common as well. As he and his sons were about to leave, I gave him a pair of Ironmind handpads to get him started. He does landscaping work and said he found a 60d nail on one of his jobs. He handed it to me. It looked like one of the harder 60ds that had been laughing at me and not moving when I tried to bend them. I looked at the nail and said, "what the heck." I wrapped it up, took my underhand grip, and cranked on it. Thirty seconds later, the ends were less than 2" apart. My new friend's name is Joe Brausch. He will be out-bending me soon.