Thick Bar Reverse Curls

austinslater

Ive been hitting these pretty hard lately and they seem to help just about everything. Ive neglected my forearm extensors in the past and it ended up hurting me down the road. My crush is up and my wrists feel alot more stable while bending etc. Could be a coincidence but im curious what is everyone elses experiences with this exercise. I think it is great for overall balance and injury prevention. Im using a 2" bar and a 2.5" bar 2xwk. Anyone have an opinion on these? Thanks in advance

Austin

I can see how they would be excellent for the wrists and extensors. Have you tried a thumbless grip? That would REALLY blast the hell out of the extensors... :rock

Love'em!

My elbows and wrists are pain-free since I incorporated these into my routine. In my opinion, a must have exercise.

I love em.I have a 2" and 3" thick bar i use.With not much weight i might add.

I started doing thumbless reverse curls last year after reading a post by Richard Sorin on the old Gripboard recommending them.

It's one of the most intense exercises I've ever experienced, grip or otherwise! I nearly blackout just about everytime! My rule is that I'm not done until my knees are buckling! It torches everything between your fingertips and elbows, but you'll also feel it indirectly hitting the whole body. You'll be breathing heavy right away!

Since I don't have access to any thick-bars, I improvised my own by taking a section of 2" diameter electrical tubing and running a chain through it. I hang weights from the chain down the middle, and tube is just long enough so I can do both hands at once.

I keep my reps slow and under control always. I should add that doing them my way, going slow is necessary because with the weights hanging down, going to fast would make them swing back and hit me in the crotch. That would be a little too intense!

Agreed, thumbless on a thickbar is a very good exercise. Make it even more intense by hooking a mini band to the ends of the bar.

Edited by maidenfan

good stuff guys. What is everyones frequency, sets/reps that seem to work best? Ive had great results doing 5x5 ala kubik 2xwk. If I feel like its too much I will do 5x10 on one of the days instead. Ive also had good results doing 1-2 sets 3xwk hit style.

Austin

Once a week 1 x 20 reps adding weight if 20 are achieved. Also done with rubber cables with 2 3/8'' handle one end anchored to floor.

I do 3x10 everyday. Real low intensity. I only add weight when the 3x10 feels light at the current weight.

Something about doing them everyday for me eliminates the tendon pain I was experiencing earlier this summer. If I skip a day I can feel it in my joints. (your results may vary)

does anyone here do highland games throws? and have TB reverse curls helped keep your elbows pain free when throwing?