Modified Pony Clamp

OldGuy

I have taken a one dollar Pony clamp and modified it. I added a piece of wood about 3/4'' to 1'' thick to each handle by screwing through the small hole in the handle into the wood and then wrapping with duct tape. Rubber bands have been wrapped around the jaws to the point where it is hard to move the handles. The idea is to make it feel more like a wide pinch. The clamp is held by the middle of the side and not at the end. The closer to the jaws you hold the harder it is. Or just add more bands. I squeeze and hold for several seconds. The pieces of wood are 3'' x 4'' x 3/4'' thick

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups...0716AUT0732.JPG

I have taken a one dollar Pony clamp and modified it.

Nice little adaption you made OldGuy. I will modify one like it too.

I wonder how it would affect a thumbless pinch? Place the bottom

handle in the palm and allow the thumb to hang on the outside.

Then just use your fingers to pinch the top handle to the palm.

If you will, give it a whirl and post your opinion if you do not mind.

I did buy a bunch of heavy duty bands from Office Max for 99 cents :D With the small pieces of wood added, and also gripping the side and not the end, you can reach down with fingers and thumb as you do on a blob. I found only a few bands were enough to make it difficult to close a little. On the non modified clamp I have a huge number of bands. I am only looking for less than 1/4'' of movement, as in real pinching nothing moves.

Great idea!!! Thanks for posting it. :rock

Different to mine. I squeeze from the side halfway along the handle, which gives me a lot less leverage, making it very much harder than squeezing the ends of the handles. I will however make one like your's too. :D

Just got in a 3" Pony clamp. Not exactly what I expected. What a monster. Inside handle spread is 5 1/2". I have 8" fingers and just about can get them on. I two hand close it and then do one hand negatives with it. Good for block weights but does anybody have any other ideas of putting this thing to good use?

I have further modified the clamp so that now it is the width of a 50 lb Blob and also as the same contours as the sides of the Blob.

one more point, do you think one could take two pvc caps that are "blob" like and mount them on the end of the pony clamps along with a small eye bolts in each cap on the side for the addition of a small chain to hang some extra weight on? This way if you pinched from the side you'd have two means of resistance increase through the rubber bands(dynamic) and having to fight gravity too.

• 2 weeks later...

Learned an important lesson about the pony clamp this weekend. Wrap athletic tape around the smooth side your thumb goes on. This keeps the clamp from slipping out of your hand and damaging something. Luckily all I broke was my thumb nail. It also has the added benefit of letting you get a stronger squeeze.