Grade 2 Hex Bolts

ironorr

Anyone know how a 5/16" grade 2 hex bolt at 6" rates as far as strength on the bending scale?

foggymountainmuscle,

That chart says that a 1/4" grade 2 bolt at 6" is slightly tougher than a white nail which I find to be impossible. I can bend the white nail with my thumb but a 1/4" bolt takes a lot more pressure. I have been told that it's slightly weaker than the yellow nail.

I'm sorry, the chart says that the white nail is STRONGER! NO WAY IS THAT POSSIBLE!

I know but I went on the chart and found where it says the 1/4" ranks under the white nail.

ironorr, also consider that he may have tested bolts that were made by a different company.

A 5/16" x 6" G2 bolt is comparable to a red.

Clay made me a very handsome necklace, which consisted in part, of a bent 5/16x6" bolt that was a bit tougher than most Reds. I've also bent a bolt of the same dimensions that was a bit easier than most Reds. Again, it just comes down to the specific bolt in question. Clay explained in another post how bolts not marked as a specific grade can very greatly in strength.

I'm glad Clay and Eric jumped in here because I just went out and bought a bunch of G2 5/16th bolts to use for a bit of volume - as easy reds.

Could the problem be that the chart is making reference to Carriage bolts - which from my understanding are threaded the entire length of the bolt (and have a flat head) and in general are made much easier than hex bolts?

Brett

It does say carriage bolts for each grade 2 tested. I didn't notice that. That makes sense. BJ, it seems that most carriage bolts are fully threaded, but even the ones that aren't are easier than a normal hex. At least in my experience with them.

Edited by Thaibox

A fully threaded 1/4" bolt is about as easy as 3/16" steel. 5/16" threaded is similar to 1/4" plain steel, and so on.

Yeah, all the carriage bolts I have (Crown Bolt Co.) are fully threaded. I found the 1/4" threaded bolts were even easier than 3/16" stock, but all my stock is CRS. The 5/16th's threaded bolts, though, seem to be a bit harder than the 1/4" hex heads (although much harder than another set of hex heads I got from Crown...the hex heads in the red packaging are much easier than the ones I have now that come in blue bags).

All of the 1/4" bolts I have (grade 2's...the 5's have yet to go past a small kink) are much easier than the 1/4" CRS stock I cut to length. So be sure to look at the bolt inside the packaging before you buy, I usually buy in bulk and I'm glad I didn't buy a bunch of those 1/4" threaded bolts...I'd have to give them out to the kids or something :)

Gave my 5/16 Grade 2 bolts a try - no where near a RED - maybe equal to a 60d.

Could be the brand but they are not what I had hoped.

Brett

Gave my 5/16 Grade 2 bolts a try - no where near a RED - maybe equal to a 60d.

I agree, they are close to a med tough 60d, but man they sure look a lot tougher, and are more impressive to the uneducated spectator at a bending session.

Do you guys think that the 5/16" grade 2's would be a good bolt for in between the IM blue and the grade 5?

I can't get 60D nails out here and i'm struggling to find something that is harder than a blue but easier than the grade 5. I can get 5/16" g2s pretty easily.

I've tried cutting down blues but anything shorter than 5 1/2" is hard to get a grip on.

You guys must have gotten some easier G2's than I had. What markings are on the head? The tougher ones I have have the BL on them. You might check out the 3/8" Grade 2's x 6" long for a good challenge then if that particular brand is easy. Oh, and if those 3/8"s are like reds, send me a few dozen! :laugh