Calling All Benders

Clay Edgin

While at the AOBS dinner, I received the same advice from several legends at different times of the evening - "Know your nails" The Mighty Stefan talked about how important it was to know what kind of nails you were bending so you didn't end up getting a super hard nail during one of your shows. Slim says that he has a whole wall full of 60d nails with descriptions under them, each one from a different maker. I would like to expand upon that idea and spread the information all over the internet. What I have started to do is collect different brands of nails and bolts, bend them, and then take high resolution pictures of the head markings and any other details I know about the item and I will be putting it onto a webpage designed to help people "know their nails."

Here is where I need your help. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could send one or two unbent nails from every different type of nail that you own, except anything smaller than a 40d. I don't know how useful having info on 8d-30d nails would be. Some people might only have access to GripRite 60d's from Home Depot, while others may have a huge variety to choose from. If you can do this, please send the nail to me at Clay Edgin, 215 W. Franklin Street, 4th Floor, Monterey, CA 93940 along with the following info if you know it:

Nail size (40d, 50d, 60d, 70d, etc.)

Brand name: (probably the most important bit)

Where purchased: (store, city, state)

Price: (can be each or per pound)

Any other info you think would be useful. The best way to attach this information to the nail would probably be just to write the info on a piece of paper, roll it up around the nail, and slap a rubber band on it.

When I get the nail, I will check its thickness with a micrometer, measure its length and head size, note the number of hash marks near the head, bend it, and then rate it among the other nails I have already tried.

I don't really know what I can give in return other than my gratitude and a big "thank you" on the webpage once it is completed. I know bolts are more expensive than nails and sometimes are harder to come by, but if you've got one that you want added to the page then I would certainly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

I'll send you a bunch with the kevlar man. I have at least 6 different types of 60's, not including galvenized or TT's.

I've got a variety of 60d, grade 5, grade 8 and 70d nails I can send you.

That would be great, thanks! Even the galvanized and timber ties would be useful to have info on. I have several different types of each already.

I'll have you a package in the mail soon Clay.

What do you think about the calibration, think

that would be worth while to do also?

I think calibrating the nails and bolts would be a great idea and be more objective than just bending them and saying "Hmm, it felt harder than this nail over here" At the present time, the best means I have of calibrating nails is to put weight on a loading pin, stick the nail through the ring at the top, and lift the nail by its ends until it bends to a certain degree. While it isn't the most accurate way, if done consistently it could at least provide a basis by which each nail could be measured against the others. I am of course, open to thoughts on this.

Edited by ClayEdgin

Clay,

The place the nail is manufactured may be critical, I have bought nails in the same box that were completely different in strength. The difference being USA origion or China.

Greg

Great Clay! I'll send you some extra to bend and to calibrate!!

Thaibox, it's up to you. If you have two 60d's that have the same maker but look different for one reason or another, then go ahead and send both.

Gamidon has a great point. If it is at all possible, knowing the country of origin of the nail or bolt would be great.

Make sure to calibrate the PBKTT's !! :yikes

You could calibrate nails using a ratchet puller fixed to a hanging spring scale. The nail would be fixed in a holder, and the ratchet puller + spring scale would be hooked to the nail center. The ratchet would be cranked until the nail bent to a predetermined degree. When it did so a scale reading would be made. The equipment to do this is available from McMaster Supply.

Not to take away from you Clay at all, just a thought here. I know Eric is doing a lot of calibration and has built a tool to do so. Maybe you two should work together and compare notes.

W

clay

Great idea,if you are interested in nails/bolts/bars from the UK i will collect a load together and send them over.

I'll be flying over to the States in September so I will try to bring a selection of Australian bending stock.

Clay, you may wish to have the sender's post what they will be giving you, to prevent redunancies. Atleast by doing this, others will know what you do and do not need.

Dub, that's a good idea. Eric, if you've got the time to calibrate stuff and if you think your calibrating device would produce consistent results, then I think we could definitely work together on this. And having people post what they are sending would be good too.

I'd love to help in any way I can, Clay. Here is my one reservation. I'm not convinced that my apparatus is useful for comparing stocks of different lengths. For stocks of the same length it seems accurate, with a pretty low margin of error.

I do not know if this has been done, but it saves me a lot of time in testing steel strength. Take a socket and drill two holes in it one around 5/16 and the other 3/8. Then take a torque wrench with that goes to 500 #. Put the nail inch into a vice and the other end into the socket. Then pull and read the torque. It's fast and ez. The steel goes in a large U shape. You can finish bending it or crush it down after testing. Oh yes take the head off the nail first and drill the holes through both sides of the socket. Use the long sockets too so you will have room for both holes.