Grade 5 Differences

austinslater

What are your guys experience with the grade 5's with regards to certian ones being on the easier side or harder side? Do different types seem to be easier? There seem to be a few common ones that most have access to including the triangle, LE etc. Thanks for your input.

Austin

I think the grade 5's stamped with JH are the easiest

Anybody know what all the emblems mean

on the bolt? JH and the triangle, LE and different markings.

My bolt guy told me on the Grade 5's I got from him

that LE meant Lake Erie. Said that where the bolt is manufactured.

Wondering about the other bolts?

The Lake Erie bolts are "plus quality" bolts. They are probably the best quality grade 5 or grade 8 you can get. Rockford is also a quality manufacturer, equal to LE. The only better quality bolts you might find would be from ARP, or your local Caterpillar dealer, as CAT makes its own hardware.

Dave Morton sent me some LE grade 5's one time and they were indeed the toughest ones I have ever bent. They actually make black ones which look pretty cool when bent. The box of G5's that I bought were of the LH variety.

It may sound silly to sit here and talk about the different strenghts of grade 5's, but knowing what nails and bolts you're bending is so important. I'm going to be assembling a database of every different maker of nail and bolt I can find and putting it online. Should have high-res scans of the nails unique markings, brand names, where it was purchased, and its difficulty.

I've noticed some differences even in the same stamp. I've bent mostly the JH variety, but every once in awhile, I'll come across one that is significantly more difficult than the others. Just an observation.

I'm going to be assembling a database of every different maker of nail and bolt I can find and putting it online. Should have high-res scans of the nails unique markings, brand names, where it was purchased, and its difficulty.

That'd be an awesome database. If you need stock from MN let me know, I'd be happy to send you some of mine.

That'd be an awesome database. If you need stock from MN let me know, I'd be happy to send you some of mine.

I'm looking for nails and bolts from all over, so if you've got an extra nail or bolt in MN I'd be happy to add it to the database.

Clay thats a great idea!!! :rock

Dave send you any Grade 9's?

I'd love to see the different bolts listed

thats around and markings and

difficulties of each. Would love to see

them calibrated to. Maybe you could send some

to Eric to calibrate or if you have the setup

do it yourself. I'd love to see where my G5's

fall. I have LE's in G5 at 6" and 5.5" and 5" G5 with triangle

emblem on the head. Oh also 4" G5 with triangle. Really

interesting stuff Clay. Maybe you could make a webpage

and put all the information on the page for us to see

what you got?? Excellent stuff Clay!!!!!

I get most of my 5's from a distributor here in AZ(copperstate). They have a triangle. I don't know if its the same triangle you guys are talking about, but that's their mark. Their 5's are unusually similar, but there's still differences, and the occasional one that is way off the curve. I've found more of a discreptancy among the 5's of Crown Bolt in CA.

Clay, that list would be an whoopass idea. Let me know if I can help. So you know, those G8's were copperstate.

I think the grade 5's stamped with JH are the easiest

haha that is great i have a bunch of JH Grade 5s and they kick my butt