Kevlar

Thaibox

I have a level IIA vest that I no longer use. It's interior ballistic filler is Kevlar Arimid. Considering the area of the front and rear of the armor, I would have enough material to supply a bunch of people with bending pads.

This material seems excellent for bending, but my question is, is it legal for use?

If its agreed that its legit for use. I can cut out whatever size is determined to be proper, and see how many pads I can make.

I thought that Kevlar was bullet proof, and not stab proof?

Yup, vests won't stop a linear knife attack, but its only because of the very sharp point of the blade plus the velocity of its travel. I really don't see a bar, bolt, or nail penetrating it unless you're pressing a sharp nail point straight into your hand at a 90 degree angle.

I suppose I could sharpen some 60's and go through a few dozen to be the guinea pig, once my hand heals a little.

Edited by Thaibox

Here's a pic of the kevlar. There's 15 total layers. It's extremely similar to the feel of the blue IM pads. The pic came out pretty clear, so you can see.

vest kevlar

Edited by Thaibox

I'd like some, regardless of who thinks its legal or not

Let me test it out first man, then I'll send you a few sheets of it. How big do you want your peices?

Eric, I'd like to get some of that too, if you don't mind. After you test it, maybe you could recommend the size pieces, cause I don't know... I just use a dish rag to bend.

The ballistic nylon and cordura that I have was in 12x12 squares and that worked out pretty well. I could fold the squares into thirds and roll the nail up into it easily. Not a lot of overhang from the end of the nail.

No problem Dan

Cool, the hole in my hand was a little infected this morning, so give me til tomorrow to test this stuff.

I'll cut out 12 x 12 peices. I haven't measured the whole area yet. I'll go do that now and see how many 12x12's I can make from it. I may have to cut them smaller so I don't waste too much material.

How much tougher is this stuff than balistics nylon?

Squeeze, I don't know man. I can tell you what type of rounds they can protect you from, but no bending knowledge with them yet. I'm going to test this kevlar alongside IM's cordura rags. I'll let you know how they compare through different tests.

Kevlar is very tough stuff and for bending it should be virtually indestructable.

It has high abrasion resistance and great tensile strength which should resist penetration by the ends of the nail unless the nail was very sharp and the pressure was very high.

Kevlar vests aren't rated for protection against knife strikes because the amount of energy behind a hefty stab (compared to the surface area of the point) is much higher than found in a pistol bullet.

You guys might want to also try Spectra, which is stronger, tougher, and more puncture resistant than Kevlar:

http://www.spectrafiber.com/

Maybe someone can contact these guys about buying some rolls Spectra or Kevlar fabric:

http://www.warwickmills.com/rollgoodsforsale.html

Just be prepared - the stuff ain't cheap.

Okay, if someone was shooting at me, I'd wear it, but if I had to bend nails I wouldn't use it. Sorry guys. It is strong as hell, but the fibers sperate from one another too much, allowing ends to eventually work their way through. Even with multiple misaligned layers, the average 60d causes at least some seperation, and has about a 25% chance of making it through. I've tried what I could to remedy this, but ultimately, its no good.

To the people whom I told I would send this stuff to, I'm sorry about this. I should have tested the material before I made this thread.

No apologies necessary. We have to learn these things by trial and error.