Deadlift Platform

milkbone

I'm trying to get things lined up to quit the gym. I've got the power rack I want picked out and I want to make a deadlift platform instead of buying one. There are plans for one on deepsquatter.com, but I'm trying to find some peeps that have actually built that platform, or have built one at all. If you have, give me your tips on what to do and not to do if you have any. Thanks!

milk

What do you mean by a deadlift platform. Are both you and the weight on it, or just you to increase the range of the pull?

I assume he is refering to an Oly platform. They often use these for deadlifts in commercial gyms.

W

Used to protect the flooring underneath from the heavy poundages. The one at deepsquatter.com calls for 2"x6"x8' boards with plywood on top. Then rubber flooring on top of that. It's used to dispurse the weight so it does not damage the floor when the weight is returned to the starting position.

I have a 4' x 8' band deadlift platform that I built. It might be what you want without the band setup. Two sheets of 3/4" plywood, then 1/2 a sheet of 3/4" plywood in the middle and a piece of 2' x 4' - 3/4" thick rubber from Tractor Supply on each side. Fasten it all togeter with drywall or deck screws and you're ready to go. I use it to extend my Olympic lifting platform and for band deadlifts and pulls for my O lifts. It works great. I think dropping Olympic lifts from overhead have more potential for floor damage than deadlifts - even with having dropped heavy (for me) clean and jerks for a couple years, I have no floor damage at all under the platform. Cost extimate is close to $100.

I have a digatal camera coming very soon - I'll put up a picture and explain it then. It's easy to build but hard to explain in words.

What is you floor composed of? I myself use a rubber mat over carpet on concrete.

Same here..works great. Go to www.deepsquatter.com and click on the deadlift platform link. There is a set of simple instructions for building one.

Milk we just screwed 3 sheets of plywood together and put to small pieces of rubber where the plates rest while on the floor. It has held up great and took all of 5 min. to make. Good luck whichever option you go with

Austin

Milk we just screwed 3 sheets of plywood together and put to small pieces of rubber where the plates rest while on the floor. It has held up great and took all of 5 min. to make. Good luck whichever option you go with

Austin

Thanks. I was talking to my soon to be brother-in-law and he has only 1/2 rubber matting in his garage and has never gotten any concrete damage from dropping heavy deads 500+. I think I may opt out of the platform for the time being and just try to find some 3/4 rubber flooring / stable mats instead. Thanks for all of the replies. Lots of good info here.

If you're on concrete you would have to be a serious gym weenie to damage anything deadlifting. Get yourself some rubber mats or even carpet scraps and get to it. I have concrete with 1/2" 3'x3' rubber squares. For OL, I just use my rubber plates and deads plain old iron.

Rubber mats on plywood on my concrete garage floor works just fine for me