Taping A Gripper Handle

milkbone

I have, in the past, taped one handle of my CoC #3 when doing negatives. I had gotten the #3 to between 1/4 to 1/8 of an inch from closed with the tape on. After removing the tape and squeezing this gripper again, I'm much further away from closing it than with the tape on it. What's the deal?

My only explanation is that the tape allows the fingers to continue to wrap around the gripper as it gets closer to the closed position, whereas without the tape the nurling keeps the fingers in place. Have any of you experienced this?

That's funny you feel that way because I tape the majority of my grippers and have always thought it made closing them tougher.

-Jedd-

That's funny you feel that way because I tape the majority of my grippers and have always thought it made closing them tougher.

-Jedd-

:laugh Oh well, leave it to me to get things backwards. I dunno. I think my crush might just be suffering right now. For kicks I tried both ways today. First without tape which sucked, then I posted this. Then I taped the handle again (finger handle only) and it sucked as well. So, all in all, it all just seems to suck right now. :blush

Joe Kinney advocated electrical tape when doing negatives.

In doing positives, the tape may save your fingers, and the slippery

nature of the electrical tape, will probably help your fingers readjust

as the gripper is closing, possibly leading to a "smoother close".

This may be a problem in the long run since you may have a tough

time readjusting to a non-taped legal close.

It may be beneficial to throw in non-taped closes to toughen your

fingers, and to not build a false sense of confidence with the tape.

The key is to find out which works for you.

T!

every now and then when my hands get really tender I tape one handle also, I think the reason you find it easier is because your brain will not let your hurt your body so if the knurling is hurting the brain says whoaaa, this con be overcome but takes time and dedication, when you tape it and it feels better the brain says go ahead!

I greatly appreciate the advice and commentary offered so far. It's been helpful ...

:rock

Edited by milkbone

I tried the Kinney method of using electrical tape on my grippers.

The tape slid off and all I ended up with is some sticky grippers.

After lots of experimenting, I found the best way for me was using a soft sandblock with medium-fine/fine grit and taking the sharpness off the gripper handles. Sharp knurling hurts... but it doesn't have to! :D

i like to use tape when i rip the skin open in my fingers. it allows me to train at a higher intensity than if i was shedding blood into my gripper's knurling and it gives my skin time to heal w/o stopping training. i use clear medical tape (3M Transpore), it doesn't seem to make it easier to close though.

I think the reason is because as you close the gripper you could slide your fingers

around and get it in a better squeeze position.

I think the reason is because as you close the gripper you could slide your fingers

around and get it in a better squeeze position.

Exactly.