10 Lb. Plates

Woodchuck

:help I intend to join the list of 6- #10 plate pinchers and would like to know what plate widths were used by Gillingham, Sexton and Sorin if anyone knows or any of you three pinch masters read this. I don't want to buy plates which are thinner than those already used by them and make the feat easier. Thanks.

not sure if Woodchuck ever got an answer, but I was hoping that someone would share the knowledge. :D Also what brand olympic plates are good for pinching? Not looking for super easy thin ones, but I'm not trying to be a bas ass and use the hardest ones. just the average....Thanks in advance.

-CHRIS

ps- good luck with the 6-10's. (pretty sure you dont need much luck to get them though. :rock )

Edited by crs9740

I believe that the person who recently gave those plates to Mr Sorin is a gripboard member who should be able to answer your question if he reads this post. I also asked the same question a while back without response.

I got an answer and wanted to pass it along to you guys. I believe these were the plates given to Sorin, and this is a quote from he who did the giving.

Yes, there were 6 total plates.  4 of them by York, 2 of them by Cap.  The

5 plate pinch was a combination of the 6.  The York's are 13/16" and the

Cap's are 7/8".  Total width would either be 4 1/8" or 4 3/16", depending

on whether or not it was 4 York+1 Cap or 3 York+2 Cap.  Hope this works

for you!

It looks like 5" total for the six plate pinch. Very doable, though just not yet :laugh
ps- good luck with the 6-10's. (pretty sure you dont need much luck to get them though.  )

Thanks for the confidence, and I think you're right. I do however need much hard work!

Guys,

Sorry I didn't answer before this, I was at my shore house for a week. The six tens I sent to R. Sorin were CAP plates. The six are 5 1/8 wide. York tens might be an 1/8 smaller but the paint on the green CAP plates has a better feel, not as smooth.

Guys,

In my post yesterday I said six York tens were smaller, their really bigger by 1/8 of a inch.

I just measured my 10's. I have three kinds - measured with a micrometer.

York - measures .84" - paint is black and kind of an in the middle for slick.

Barbell brand - .80" - paint is Grey and slick - from a $100 Olympic set

Bodysolid brand .83" - paint is black and has the best friction of my plates - the edges of these are also not quite as sharp - I like to have one of these under my thumb when piching.