Correlation Between Bench Press And Bending?

bigbuffdan

hey, for those of you who perform the bench press and bend nails, is there any negative effect between the two? Is it possible that bending strength could be impeded upon by the bench press, or vise-versa? If I didn't make something clear enough, pm me...thanks

-DBAR :mosher

I think it would depend on what style you use. The double overhand style would seem to benefit from a strong bench press althougth this hasnt been the case for me.

Austin

one last thing, with levering, what position sould the wrist be in. For example, when levering overhead, do you want the wrist parallel to the ground, or at some other agnle.

I know that after heavy bending my elbows aren't up to the task of benching. I usually wait a day. Bending after benching doesn't pose much of a problem for me, though I don't do it.

yeah, it might be that bench isnt affecting my bending at all. It may be a totally different problem. Perhaps it is form that has hindered my gains. Whatever it may be, I'll be sure to post it when I find out!

I can't do both seriously at the same time. My elbows do not handle it.

However, I do think there is a great correlation between upper body strength in stuff like the bench, and bending. At the michigan grip comp, many of the guys who could bench 350-400 raw could do 7"-6" 1/4 HRS. One guy, a 450 raw bencher, did 5" 1/4 HRS. Not bad for what amounted to a first ever bending session for most of them. The 5" bender had never even trained grip seriously before.

I think a strong chest helps alot. Also shoulders and Triceps. It doesn't help nearly as much for double underhanders.

I think it does. I use a double underhand as well. Basically, I pull with my lats and try to push my hand knuckles together at the same time. It helps with my crush down quite abit too.

I would have to disagree.

I am a very piss poor bencher. Even more so now that I am recovering from a pec tear. My last bench session, I had to quit at 160 cause my pec and shoulder hurt something fierce! Yet, in the double overhead style, I can take a 60 penny down quick and almost effortlessly, even with a pec that is far from healed.

Everything is relative, and everyone is different.

Rick Walker :rock

The strong chest will help most in the crushdown. Some styles require more wrist than others; however, at the start of the bend the wrist is most important in all styles.

-HH

Well, i know that a couple weeks ago, i did some hard bending a couple days b4 my bench workout, and my benching did not feel as strong as it usually does. This has not been a long-term trial and error test though

MEAT

I usually bend in the gym the same day I do my upper body workout, and often right after I bench. I notice no negative effects and think it only helps to warm up the chest crush muscles.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been bending after my upper body workouts on Mondays and Thursdays, usually about 3 hours after, and the only problem that I have is that my forearms sometimes cramp after maximal exertions. I don't think that it has slowed down my bench efforts because I'm still making progress, and my bending is going fantastically. I started seriously in March and bent my first G8 yesterday.

After just a week of heavy bends, and light Overhead press/close grip bench, my bending strength has soared. I bent a hex screw, which two weeks ago I could t even manage to kink. Oh yeah, I switched to double underhand. :cool