Has Anyone Used A Tens Unit?

Dumnorix

You once could find them on TV advertisements all the time. Small patches of electrodes are attached to various muscles, while electricity stimulates the muscle directly. On tv, smiling models would read a book while electrodes attached to their abs would give them a complete ab workout. When I was younger, I got to play with one on loan from a physical therapist's office. I put the electrodes on my hand, and cranked it up. My hand closed so hard that I thought I was going to break every bone in my hand. Even after training grip, I have never had a contraction like that. I didn't have any COC grippers at that time, so I was wondering if anyone has ever put the electrodes on their hand and forearm, set a tough gripper, and cranked up the current. I almost want to go buy one, just to see if I could close the #3 with it.

I had read that those didn't do anything except give you heart problems.

I have a hospital grade Stim/TENS unit and it works great. I have never put it on my hands though. I use it for larger muscle groups.

Don't try it on your hand on my account! I don't want anyone getting hurt, I was just wondering about past experiences. I was probably only 15 years old when I tried it.

Although I seriously doubt it would hurt you if you were careful, I would never recommend that you try something that I had never tried myself.

The current fitness position on TENS/EMS is that it is good for rehab and recovery but that it is not effective for improving strength or mass on its own.

Tens- is for pain relief and will not improve muscle, E-stim has been proven to improve muscle recruitment and strength when working with stroke patients or post op pts who have severly decreased strength, also the Rusians had some limited sucess with powerlifters in the 60 and early 70's using E-stim with heavy weights simultaneously, very painfull (still used by therapists called Russian Stim, they just use it at lower levels) but for the most part it is most effective on Rehab. Dont waste your money..Brett

Good recovery is the Keÿ to strength/mass. I think that's it's primary athletic use.