New Reds Harder Than Older Ones?

Clay Edgin

I had heard that the newer reds felt harder than the older ones but did not have any first hand knowledge of this until tonight. Now, I admit to not being 100% tonight after yesterday's bending session , but I still tried a new red from a batch that I received today. The steel is darker than the others I had. Gave it a go and only put a marginal kink in it. I wanted to see how tough it was, so I bent it over a 2" bar. To my surprise, it felt pretty tough until it got past 45 degrees, and then I crushed it down from there.

Of course, tonight even 60ds felt hard so maybe it's all in my head. Time to rest and find out in a week or so.

Yes, the current batch is tougher than that of a couple of months ago. But the hardest yet is the stuff of a few years ago. It's comparable to the Fat Bastard Barbell 5/16x7" round stock. The oldest batch is also the darkest in color.

the only thing michael moore looks into on a regular basis is the phone book when he looks for a pizza shop that delivers in bulk. :whistel

anyway, i understand that steel varies, but you would think ironmind would use the same supplier, same everything to ensure the steel is as close as possible. gripboard people coming along and destroying something they made out to be untouchable, except for JB.

Is there any way to keep a thread on topic?

I have seen steel vary from foot to foot on a 20 foot bar. Don't think too much into this or it will win. It's just steel. Bend it.

OK, sorry. The old one Mark Dixon gave me via Dave's old bunch was harder than new. Of course it's been a while.

I have seen steel vary from foot to foot on a 20 foot bar. Don't think too much into this or it will win. It's just steel. Bend it.

Steve is right. Nail benders are going to have to live with this. You could calibrate a nail at 300lbs, but this does not prove that the next nail that you yourself bent is also 300lbs. :calm

IMHO Ironmind sees grip training as a serious hobby, nothing more nothing less and thats already good. The gripboard sees grip training as a sport. Hence the "hiatus".

Slim discussed the same issue, that steel, even from the same 20ft stick, is not the exact same. Depending on what they dropped in the vat and the exact formula at the time it was made. Nowadays, they have a much better level of control than say 100yrs ago, but it is still not perfect. It is probably unintentional and just a new batch. If Randy was to make it tougher he would probably do a major rollout, like with the new coc rules.

Yeah.