My Road To The Red Has Been Completed

Clay Edgin

Two, yes TWO, Ironmind reds done today. I was so stoked. I have been talking with Eric Milfeld and strongmitts over the past few days about overhand bending and today it really started to click. I went through a few 50d's like nothing, then a 60d, a Grade 5, then said screw it and wrapped up a prekinked red. Nothing. Not even another degree of kink. So I took it outside, bent it pretty far over my barbell, and then crushed it down.

I then came back in, wrapped up a new one, and started after it. To my surprise, it bent maybe 40 degrees after about 10 seconds of fighting. This was well beyond my sticking point that I was always caught at with underhand bending so I was confident it would go down. Sure enough, I crushed it into a U. I was so pumped, I slammed the still-wrapped nail on the ground and did a victory dance. It was ugly, but I am not generally known for my dancing skills. Unless there is money involved, but that's another story.

After calling Porkbone (hey, you gotta brag to somebody!) I wrapped up another red, my last one, and went after it. This one took longer but I still got it. Felt awesome! I felt on fire and decided to go after my 267k challenge bar. No problem. It is now hanging on my wall. Then I went after the Grade 8 and put that down quickly as well.

I came on the board to post in my training journal then went back to bending. Did a few more 60d nails, 2 5.5" grade 5's, a 6" grade 5. I am expecting my shipment of 50 reds to come tomorrow! :)

Wow! Great job on those reds Clay!!!

Congrats!!! :rock

Clay is a freak!!! 2 reds! Very nice. Feels good don't it??!!!

Anything in specific that made the double overhand really click? I too am bending that way, and any tip I can get my hands is appreciated. Congrats on the bends, only a matter of time till the sub 7" reds come into play. Train hard!

Edited by Anuwbius

Great job Clay - you will have a opportunity in the near future to display your new skills! :blush

Thanks guys! I think that helped a lot was the end of the nail's placement in my hand. I used to hold the end of the nail right in the middle of my palm and was "choking up" on it quite a bit. When I moved my fingers to the end of the bar and set it where the thumb meets the hand, I increased my leverage quite a bit. Between that and adding the ballistic nylon to the cordura to make a fatter roll and soften the pain when jamming the end into my hand, it all added up to some big PR's!

Dunmorix, Dave Morton has been doing the red and #4 for a few months now, and I wouldn't be surprised if Big Steve himself has done both. He is a destroyer of red nails and is very close to pounding those #4 handles together too. I wouldn't put it past some of the Holle boys to be bending reds and slamming #4's either.

Edited by ClayEdgin

Clay, I am stoked for you!

Congratulations!

Awesome job, Clay. Congratulations. :rock:bow

Congrats Clay :bow:rock:bow:rock

Awesome job on the REDS!!

Knew it wouldn't be long -

Brett

:bow Congratulations, Clay :bow

Outstanding!

The Red List will expand. Congrats Clay.

Make you you have a credit card handy for the rule change coming. Wait, that was grippers.

Make sure you have oven mitts handy. That's the next rule change. BWAH!

Eric has been a bad influence over your bending technique to the point where you can bend a red with technique rather than strength! :tongue

Congrats Clay.

You are a natural.

:bow

Congratulation on a long road and a battle well fought!