Rail

Lyle

I want to make some new farmer's walk out of railway rail, does anyone know how much it weighs per foot?

It depends on the size of the rail. Rails are sized by their "weights."

For example, a 100lb rail will weigh 100lbs for every three feet of rail (or 33 1/3 lbs per foot).

A 3 foot length of 115 lb rail will weigh 115 lbs (or 38.33 lbs per foot).

etc.

The size of the rail should be listed on the side of the rail. Look for the numbers 85, 100, 115, etc. Whatever number you find will be the number to use in your calculations.

Hope this helps.

If you can get your hands on some rail that would be a good idea, because they are very heavy, and that would mean less dragging of weights outside to put on it.

Good thinkin. Let us know how it works out.

Lyle

We have a set that were made out of rails .... if you want I can take a pic and post it. I'll even go so far as to take measurements for ya if you want ..... :inno

Let me know.

CJ

Any one got any links or leads to scrap yards that have this type of steel rails?

Thanks.

e-mail me if you do or just post.

Tom

I am not sure about down your way, but around here the odd rail can sometimes be found lying around old abandoned rail lines or spurs. That might be worth looking into if you know of any.

Obviously, I can't offer any suggestions for scrap yards in your area, but maybe the above will help?

CJ

thanks guys, I do plan to stack two lengths then weld the handle on top. I'm looking for them to weigh 225-230lbs, I have a set of steel box ones now that are filled with lead but they are wide and leave nasty abrasions as you turn, the rail I've used in competition seems much more leg friendly.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod...&cmd=si&img=776

Here is the pic of the FW. The measurements are included in the text. I took 5 pics, but only uploaded one.

They are kind of high, but are not too bad to carry in terms of not banging the heck out of your legs.

Your idea of laying two on top of each other sounds good as it would give you a place to weld bars onto for loading additional weight.

Nice job on those.

Cobby and gnarly looking.......

A lot of euro tapes of strongman they use a similarly sized suitcase implement.

Yours-with the railroad ties...are cooler though. :cool

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

I live 1/4 mile from the railtrack. Maybe I should take a walk later on! ;)

yeah.Pick up about 12 to 15 ft of it,shoulder it and walk home.....wasn't there an old strongman story(saxon?) about someone walking with an 1800lb railroad track on their shoulder. 'cough...cough' :erm

I think the reported weight of the 'feat'varied from time ot time. :stuart

I'll just remove enough track to not derail the train. :rolleyes Maybe I will take the truck. To be serious I know that there are very short pieces of track laying around. I have seen them.

cjcocn, just looked at your picture "thanks" I never even thought of putting it together that way, I find that to be a really neat way, thanks again :rock