Leather Wrapps

Anuwbius

Hey, I am curious as to the seemingly similar leather wraps used for cert bends. I would very much like to try them, but everything I come accross leather whise is often to thin, or to hard. FOr pictures, the leather wrapps used in Steve Weiners cert at the Aobs dinner. They are exactly what I am looking for.

Steive Weiner cert article with pictures

Thickness and type of leather is I guess what I am goign for, and where to get it! Any help is appreciated.

Edited by Anuwbius

www.eleathersupply.com I'm sure you could find some there. Or if you're rich, get some shark skin (elephant if your Bill Gates). Both are a lot tougher than cow leather. A good holster maker like Greg Kramer (www.kramerleather) can hook you up with that. Locally, just hit a saddle maker or shoe repair shop - they'll have something that will work.

I'm not very knowledgeable about the use of leather for bending, but I'll offer one bit of advice. I tried the cowhide for a short while, using soft, thin leather wrapped to a total thickness of about 1 1/2 invhes. And I had a bar burst through the nearly 5/8" thick wall of leather. It was nearly disastrous. Again, who knows, I was probably using the wrong stuff.

www.brettunsvillage.com/leather

I've dealt with these guys for years when I needed leather for making various things and they are very cool. They're in Maine, but the prices include free shipping most of the time. Check out the scrap bin. And subscribe to the newsletter if only for the stories Churchill tells.

You're going to want at least 10oz leather which I believe is a hair under 3/16" thick. Preferably vegetable tanned, as oil-tanned and others may be too soft. Stay away from elk, deer, moose, or anything else that may look cool but not be strong. A medium to firm temper would be fine.

For the leather bits that Steve uses, I don't know where exactly he got his but I have seen similar leather swatches at craft stores.

BTW, Brettuns has some camoflauge printed leather that I bet Terminator would love! http://www.brettunsvillage.com/leather/scrap/scraps.htm

Edited by ClayEdgin

Thanks for all the info guys. I am going to try it out, but THe more I use my recently obtained curdura, I feel more and more comfortable with it, something that was not there before, and making me search for alternatives. Thanks again!

Then if it ain't broke, don't fix it! :)