Galvanized Pipe Thickbar

DarknessDragon

What is the pipe wall thickness?

I don't have one yet but I'm guessing I'll buy the 1 1/2" inner diameter pipe so the outer diameter would be around ~1.9 inches to fit olympic plates.

How much weight can a thickbar made out of 7' galvanized pipe support?

Will support 5 to 600 pounds. Bars get bent by being dropped.

I agree with Oldguy, I use this for my thick bar work. 18 dollars was a better choice than laying out 10 times that for an appollons axle. I've had 450+ on it and no worries yet. If it bends or becomes unusable, hey, another 18 bucks. I've had mine for almost a year.

W

i made mine different than this, and have been very happy. i took an old olympic bar, and unscrewed one end. i cut a pipe to fit exactly inside there. it is 2 3/8 OD, and it fits so snug that it is non revolving. this, coupled with the inside O bar makes it extremely solid. had 500+ on it and it just smirks at me :D

You don't want galvanized coating on your hands for any length of time, especially if they sweat. Bare steel pipe, while it may rust, might be a better option.

Or, if you're feeling adventurous, you can call a fabrication shop in your area and ask how much a 2" (or 1 15/16" if you want to get technical) solid bar 7 feet long would cost. A shop near my office quoted me $50, including the cost of cutting it down to 7 ft. and it would hold more weight than I could ever put on it.

Yea i have a solid 2'' steel bar. It is great. A few months ago it only cost 35 dollers but i am sure it is more expensive now, due to an increase in steel prices.

It will hold more than you can ever lift. It can also double as a squat bar, it doesn't dig into your upperback and neck like a normal bar, plus i'm sure a thickbar can take more weight.

All in all i love my thickbar. Try to do something with it every week.

I have a couple thick bars.I did get the axel from ironmind but found some inexpensive thick bars from brute strength and got a 3"thick bar from them.It's more of a homeade type bar but is a really strong bar made from some thick steel pipe.