3lb Ironshots

Rick Browne

I received 2 3lb iron shots I ordered from Springcoathletics today.

Cost $30 total

They have a very smooth surface almost burnished like.

They fit my hands right on time. My hands measure 8 inches.

I can rotate them fairly easily without dropping them.

They have a diameter right at 2 13/16 inches and they weigh

exactly 3lbs. The right size for me and a good weight to receive

a very taxing rotation workout.

They came with a light powder like coating. but was easily removed

with Acetone.

I can not say if they would be to large for hands 7 1/2 inches and

shorter or not. I do have a little extra room in my hands to rotate them

with good coordination and a little speed. Not sonic speed though :)

Anyway, take a look and decide for yourself if they spark an interest.

http://www.vsathletics.com/section.php?xSec=80 click on iron shots.

These iron shots are the least costly

I ordered some last week from the same place. They should be here Thursday. Can't wait.

I do not know what they coated them with. It appears to be like a light

powdery aluminum? It does come off on your hands. I removed a majority

of it with a terry washcloth and Acetone. Not as bad now. Still need to wash 'em

up a little more. I think it will wear off in time anyway

That is definitely the best price on 3lb shots out there.

My hands are 7" and the ironmind balls (2.25" diameter, 1.25lbs) rotate palm up with lots of room to spare. I think it would be possible for me to do balls of this diameter, though I'm not sure about the weight.

Another interesting option to doing the heavy balls right side up is doing lighter balls upside down. I have some 2" balls that weigh 7.5 ounces each. It is more taxing for me to rotate them palm down than to rotate the IM balls palm up.

Here's a video of me rotating the IML2 balls. You can see why I think the size of the shots would be manageable:

http://www.stylesdevelops.com/videos/IML2.wmv

Notice that I'm actually moving the balls with my fingers, opposed to rolling them. I think as one's expertise improves to the point of rolling, the maximum ball diameter that can be handled would increase considerably.

That is definitely the best price on 3lb shots out there.

I have their 24lber and it is deluxe for the price as well.

Good for warm up hand toss to preclude Blob work

Interesting. I see your able to manipulate the balls, and at the same time keep them from touching.

This is the way I do it too, though not with balls this size... gonna have to find some of these larger ones.

I have their 24lber and it is deluxe for the price as well. Good for warm up hand toss to preclude Blob work

zcor,

My hands are about 7 1/2 and I can get my rough 16 lb. shot fairly easy, so I'm looking to move up. Would you recommend the 24 lber for me? Thanks! :)

My hands are about 7 1/2 and I can get my rough 16 lb. shot fairly easy, so I'm looking to move up. Would you recommend the 24 lber for me? Thanks! 

Syber,

Hmmm.. I do not hesitate to recommend a good product based on

cost and effectiveness for what one wants to do with it. In my case,

I like lobbing the 24 lber hand to hand and high toss hand to hand.

I use it as a warm-up to Blobs. I have been able to palm it and Deadlift it

but that move no longer interest me.

My 16 lber is 16 inches in circumference and the 24 lber is 18 inches in cir.

So for a recommendation based on the size of the 24 lber and your hand,

I feel that you can benefit from it, but don`t hold me over a fire about it :)

I am also going to get the 28 lber here shortly.... A 30-35 lb York blob toss

is not yet mastered

Got my 3lb balls :blink (opps I mean shots today). They have a real messed up paint on them. It is a silver metallic type finish that rubs off in your hands. Got out the lacquer thinner and took of the paint. They are easier than I thought I did 80 rotations switching directions every 10 rotations. My forearms got real pumped. :D I will let you know how things go.

Got my 3lb balls  (opps I mean shots today). They have a real messed up paint on them. It is a silver metallic type finish that rubs off in your hands. Got out the lacquer thinner and took of the paint. They are easier than I thought I did 80 rotations switching directions every 10 rotations. My forearms got real pumped.  I will let you know how things go.

Yes, it will all come off eventually. Mine only leaves a trace. I believe it to be

powdered aluminum. No matter. I believe their 4lbers could be used.

I emailed for the 4lb. diameter

I just ordered one of their 28lbers (for shoulder work). I'm anxious to see if I can pick it up by the top.

when you find out, please tell me what the diameters of the 4lbs shot are. i can already do upsidedown rotation with my im level 2 balls. i attribute this skill to my long scale, six string bass guitar :D .

Edited by Vise

Got my 3lb balls  (opps I mean shots today). They have a real messed up paint on them. It is a silver metallic type finish that rubs off in your hands. Got out the lacquer thinner and took of the paint. They are easier than I thought I did 80 rotations switching directions every 10 rotations. My forearms got real pumped.  I will let you know how things go.

Yes, it will all come off eventually. Mine only leaves a trace. I believe it to be

powdered aluminum. No matter. I believe their 4lbers could be used.

I emailed for the 4lb. diameter

I removed the plug and it has a small amount of fillings. I think you could fill the plugs with lead shot and increase the weight. I am going to try this. :D

I removed the plug and it has a small amount of fillings. I think you could fill the plugs with lead shot and increase the weight. I am going to try this.

Good idea. I guess the filings were to achieve exact weight. Let us know how much lead shot you can add.