Should A 14 Year Old Kta The #1?

Dumnorix

Just wondering, because my 14y.o. cousin has taken a huge interest in grip training, especially after I showed him the Gripboard movie gallery. Just wondering if he should get the KTA program, or if that would be too intense (he would do WHATEVER it says to). His goal is to close the #1 (he isn't even close).

There was a 14 year old who closed the #3, so I don't see why your cousin couldn't handle a little volume.

Make sure your cousin has the discipline to step back in the face of injury before giving him a program as intense as KTA. Most 14 year olds don't.

I would say no if he is still growing. Focus him on all around grip basics. And having fun. That is, if his "test" has started kicking in big time from going thru puberty.

His goal is to close the #1 (he isn't even close).

This tells me all I need to know.

IMHO, wait until he CAN close the #1 - and close it consistantly. At 14, the bigger hungrier grippers will wait for him.

My name is Sybersnott and I approve of this message :D

My son started lifting heavy weights and squeezing on # 1 and 2 grippers. It has not done him any harm.

Working grip by squeezing grippers and doing the KTA program can be night and day. Working grip is fine. Performing such an intense program as KTA when one is still growing is something I would not recommend -- just my opinion.

My son started lifting heavy weights and squeezing on # 1 and 2 grippers. It has not done him any harm.

Working grip by squeezing grippers and doing the KTA program can be night and day. Working grip is fine. Performing such an intense program as KTA when one is still growing is something I would not recommend -- just my opinion.

You are right. the question was about KTA. I would not advise growng boys to do KTA.

well, i have to say this.....i have a goal to close a #3 by my 16th b-day, and im on good progress. i ordered KTA and am in the 6th week. i love it. my goal was the

#2 which i was not consistent with. i killed it after one week, and now im finishing the program to ensure i have total domination of it. i can get the #3 to parallel. i take glucosamine chondroiton for my joints, and i feel great. i know this will not be right for everyone, but i am one of the few people blessed with a mesomorphic structure. i can recover quickly, so KTA works well for me.i can easily see where other people might get hurt though.

When I was much younger and green in weight training I had great results from doing one set of any particular exercise. I think high volume like KTA would be counter productive in this case.

Also realize that young guys don't have near the tendon strength or mass as 30 year old men. Just look at their fingers. You can't ask a boy's hand to do a man's work, IMO.

Mossman - there are teenagers in your age range that could pass for 25 and others who would get carded at a PG-13 movie. You really can't go by one or several people's anecdotal experience and just play it case by case. Obviously if there was a COC at age 14 he was definitely ready. But if this kid isn't even close on the #1 then he probably is NOT ready to handle that kind of stress & volume.

manvil, i totally agree. i understand that, and i also know that my growth is very unusual for my age. im just saying what happened in my case. give him a year, and if he gets control of the #1, then maybe he will be ready.

Thanks for the advice everyone. He is about 5'10 and 145# and has not been lifting weights very long. I put him on a program of deadlifts (135 start to 205 PR), presses, situps, and yoga's "Plank position" for core strength, and block weights, easy grippers, and long walks carrying Olympic bars suitcase style for grip. And also, absolutely no bending while the wrist bones still have growth plates.

Wannagrip, you having a financial interest in the book and still advising against the program for him is respectable.