Rotating Intensity And Volume

BJones

Just wanted to collect a variety of opinions on rotating intensity and volume for bending -

I am finding that I have to change intensity and volume - and include good rest days - in order to progress.

After Thursdays bending session - I am not "recovered" yet (meaning I cannot repeat my G8 performance) but could do a volume day of 60d nails.

On Monday I will see how G5 bolts go for volume.

Basically resisting the tendency to try to match or best a recent PR becomes very important to progressing.

Wanted to see how everyone else handles this.

Brett

I don't see how long one could always try to get a PR @ every bending session. If this was the case, bending once a week, most people would be bending REDS by 6 months. I too am trying to resist the urge to really hammer on it and build the volume.

I have found that this not only applies to bending but just about everything else.

It's tough to fight the urge to go for that PR when you're too beat from the last workout.

-HH

I don't see how long one could always try to get a PR @ every bending session.  If this was the case, bending once a week, most people would be bending REDS by 6 months.  I too am trying to resist the urge to really hammer on it and build the volume.

The Milfeld Method :laugh

I have found that volume training works well for me. I feel that I have made some of my best bending gains over about a 4-6 week period when performing 4-6 medium-heavy bends but leaving some in the tank up until the last few weeks. Lately, I have been adapting to my new technique and nearing the red, so every session has pretty much been a warm-up and go for an all out bend. I can't do this too long or I will get burned out.

I was bending too much during March and April.

Too much volume, too many days and too many PR attempts and in the end I got worn out and my progress stalled and then went backwards.

Now i'm bending twice a week, one day volume one day heavy with a max of 1PR attempt each week.

It seems to be working well, the first time I tried a blue nail it was a huge struggle (3 weeks ago) but now i'm doing cut blues and on Saturday and Sunday I was at a fitness expo doing some nail bending and even after folding a bunch of G2s and 50Ds I killed a blue pretty quick.

And on that note bending stuff is good for scaring puffed up bodybuilders :tongue