Heavy Neck Work

climber511

I've noticed that Steve and Pat are doing some huge headstrap work while bending. I'm sure this adds tremendously to the "show" but I wonder what other more tangible benifits the neck work is giving them. I've done headstrap over the years but never as a feat of strenght in itself. What does everyone think the main benefits are - besides a much stronger neck? Any help to the actual bending?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldGuy

• SHRUG

• mossman

• maidenfan

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a strong neck is critical to bending strength. As an example, the only muscle I have ever really strained (tore?) while bending is in my neck. Now I always warm my neck up prior to bending. I don't have a neck strap, but I hope to soon.

Mike M.

I got a decent head strap at new york barbell, only 24.00 (plus I used a 10.00 discount certificate, so it was really 14.00) compared to Ironminds 60.00....

I like the nylon straps the best. I have the IM strap and rarely use it. Lately, I've been using jumpstretch bands looped in my power rack and that has given me the best neck work to date.

i have a headstarp and use it frequently...as a straphold band :D when i was using it i hated it, and i actually ended up overlapping a muscle in my neck...wierd i know, but thats what the chiro said.....now, all i do is bridging, and sometimes bridging with someone on my chest....now my neck is like a stone pillar. check out matt furey and his info on it

I don't have neck problems bending, but sometimes I about drive my lower jaw through my teeth and into my brain. :whacked

i have a headstarp and use it frequently...as a straphold band :D  when i was using it i hated it, and i actually ended up overlapping a muscle in my neck...wierd i know, but thats what the chiro said.....now, all i do is bridging, and sometimes bridging with someone on my chest....now my neck is like a stone pillar. check out matt furey and his info on it

Overlapping a muscle in your neck??? Could you elaborate please?

I have the IM headstrap and I love doing neck work. What do you guys consider a strong neck? I mean how much weight lifted off the ground is considered strong? Also how much weight done for reps?

strong mitts, i dont know what happened....i had a sharp pain in my neck for weeks, and when i went to my chiro, he said i had muscular imbalance and through some activity, i had managed to get one muscle to slightly overlap another. very very odd

I love neck work too. Makes one feel powerful.

I do a lot of stuff, but mix it up all the time. I lie down on a bench with a plate on my forehead for reps. I do neck harness work. I do neck bridges for time and also neck rolls back/front/side/side. I do them also standing up with my head braced aganist a swiss ball against the wall. Awesome stuff.

JasonL

I am going for a single with 405lbs on my head harness soon, my current PR is 375lbs held for a two count at the top and then slowly lowered back down. I hope to hit 405lbs by the end of summer, I will be sure to send in the video.

Yeah 405lbs, and yes I wear a size 4x T-Shirt.

Been training like an animal my friend. :rock We should get together and train CREW style sometime.

4x? jesus i dont doubt that one.......shrug , could we see some videos with headstraps? i would love to see something like that, especially 405

I will be sure to send in the video of me doing 405lbs on my head harness as soon as I do it. Big Steve is gonna video it for me and maybe the crew will even jazz it up for me if I ask them.

Mossman, I bet that muscle overlap was like a muscle grinding across another. Sounds painful!

I need to get a headstrap, if only to try to make it to 300lbs.! My neck work consist of a winter traction sandbag on top of my head, towards the back or front, walking or squats with it. Works the whole neck.

damn right it was painful...at times it immobilized my whole neck...i guess in a way i should be thankful though, since that is what got me into neck training.....i am kinda interested in seeing what i can do on a headstrap though, after hearing shrug talk...of course he is on another planet from me, but hey why not give it a go?

Did head harness today.

1X5 - 100lbs

1X1 - 145lbs

1X1 - 190lbs

1X1 - 235lbs

1X1 - 280lbs

1x1 - 325lbs

1X1 - 370lbs (Felt Easy)

1X10 - 300lbs

400lbs is very close, I think I could have had it today. :rock

Shrug thats amazing, You have made great progress since Night of Strength II when you had trouble with 80 lbs in a full range movement. Keep doing whatever it is that youre doing.

Are we talking about supporting the weight, or lifting the weight from the chin on the chest to the head fully back? The former does not involve moving the head.