Grip Testing

Wanna Be

Free grip testing is being offered at a local hospital, tomorrow and I wanted to get some feedback from the experts.

Will they probably be using a dynamometer and will the numbers be of any use for comparison purposes? Are these machines accurate and if so, why not test at ALL strength events with them and drop the other exercises?

Thanks and I still can't believe the high level quality of the information available here.

Well, FWIW, unless the dynanometer "rolled over", I tested 160lb on my right hand and 170 on my left (?) which makes no sense since I can easily no-set the #3, and can close Jedder's BBE from parallel.

I did one recently and got 70k lefty, 85k right.

Probably not used for grip comps cause they are not as cool as closing grippers or other tests of strength.

I got tested by a dyno late last year. Make sure you get name of the dyno and model number. They will probably use a Jamar or a Baseline. I think I got tested on a Jamar but I'm really not sure about it because I didn't ask her what kind of dyno it was. :(

What's 70K equate to on the dynamometer?

176.36 pounds

Well, FWIW, unless the dynanometer "rolled over", I tested 160lb on my right hand and 170 on my left (?) which makes no sense since I can easily no-set the #3, and can close Jedder's BBE from parallel.

Razorman,

This is normal. I have a Jamar Hand Dyno and have test hundreds of people with it. I've found that about 90 % can close more on these Dyno's with their non-dominant hand.

i'm curious, am i right on my assumtion that an ordinary hand dyno will only test your "crush strength" at the width of the handles. generally, this is only at parallel so it is understandable that the numbers are not anyone's true crusing force. plus, see how much you actually move the handles

As in any test of strength, the dyno tests how good you are at doing the dyno. That is all. Just as a big leg press doesn't equate to a big squat or vice versa. Yes, there will be carry over, but all tests of strength are testing exactly what you are doing, nothing else.

At the AOBS this past Saturday night, Clay Edgin took the RB dyno that is owned by Richard Sorin and pinned it at 95 kg. Richard believes that this might be a WR!

i walked into a ciropractors office about a month ago just to try there dyno.....it went to 200 lbs and i maxed it out, unbraced. and got to about 185 with my left hand.

i can only get my #3 to 1/4 inch. but can easily no set a 2 and a hg250