G5 Or Tt?

r_p_h

This week I finally decided to try out some of the bolts. Up until now I've just been bending TT's and 1/4" crs. Yesterday I tried the G2's, and they seemed pretty easy (1/4 x 6), so today I went back to Home Depot and picked up some G5's. I bent 5 of them and started thinking "what's going on here?", they seemed to be the same as the G2's. When I looked more closely, only one of the bolts had 3 lines to indicate that it was a G5. After the fact, I realized that one of them had been harder to bend, but not significantly. I suppose it's possibe that the G2's were just really tough, but the strange thing is that even the G5 was easier than a TT I bent in the same session. Just to make sure I've got this straight, a timber tie is a spiral 60D, right? I'm just curious what some of you more experienced benders make of all this. The most difficult bend I've made so far I would say is the 1/4" crs at 5.5" long, but I thought that a G5 is supposed to be harder than that.

Rick Heidebrecht

aka r_p_h

There is some 1/4" CRS at 5 1/2" that would be stronger than a grd 5. But I would recommend trying some grd 5's of a different brand for comparison. And by the way, congratulations on that grd 5 bend! Sounds like you're stronger than you realise.

Are there any letters on the head of the bolt with the 3 lines? Perhaps you just got a bad batch of bolts?

Nah, something is amiss. Personally, I've never seen G5's in any bendable sizes at Home Depot. Hit an Ace or Hardware Hank and pick up som 6"x1/4" G5's, and maybe a G8 or two in case G5's are in fact easy bends for you.

Ditto on that. Never seen any bolt bending stock at home depot except for zinc plated and galvanized hex / carriage bolts (.25x6 inches). The galvanized bolts are pretty hard, but not as hard as a Lowe's TT IMO. If I remember correctly, one will have like an AX stamped on it and one had like a BBB stamped on it which was harder. I think the BBB was the galvanized hex bolt.

I had to find a hardware store affilliated with Ace Hardware to get my G5 and strong 60D nails. Also, the 60D concrete coated (I think this is what it is, textured, dull in color) TT at Lowes is hard. I haven't dented one yet, although I've been focusing mostly on the shiney 60D from the hardware store as of late, trying to get the bastage to double over.

I have slightly kinked a G5, but not noticeable to the eye. Yes, the G5 owns me right now. :angry:

Edited by milkbone

Something is screwy, I agree with Chris.. I have bent several grade 5's and there is a huge difference between them and timber ties...Grade 5's do vary a little but not that much. I guareentee you will feel a difference when you hit a grade 5.....Of course I cannot explain the 3 lines on the bolt you bent as that signifies it is a grade 5....Could be that you are just a bending stud....look out red...Brett

Well, I went to my local hardware store yesterday and picked up a couple G5's and a couple G8's to compare to the G5 I got from Home Depot. All the G5's I got from Home Depot, from the bin labeled "Grade 5", were shiny and the same colour as the G2's (although only one of the G5's had the 3 lines on it). The G5's I got from the local place were a dull brown/black. The Home Depot bolts had a "P" on the head, while the local hardware store bolts had sort of a dogbone shape on them (the G5's and the G8's), kind of looks like a rectangle with the middle squished ogether. The difference between the two was night and day; the Home Depot G5's were very easy while I just barely managed to kink the black G5's. (So the congratulations may have been premature, Eric, but thanks anyway ;) )

That's the story thus far, I guess I got some freaky-easy G5 from Home Depot, who knows.... I'll see if I can get some more and figure out what's going on.

As I understand it a lot of the G5s on the market are fake and unless you buy them from a reputable place you may get duds.

Sounds like you got a bunch of crap ones from HD and also if they were labelled G5 but didn't have the 3 slashes then they were probably G2s

Out here in Aus you can only get G5s on order from an enginerring supply place and they are monsters compared to the G2s from a hardware store.