Oldtime Feats Of Strength

Clay Edgin

http://www.naturalstrength.com/history/gripstrength.html

Some feats are older, and some are done by more contemporary grip masters such as David Horne. An interesting read!

One thing that did stick out in my head was Goerner's deadlift using two fingers from each hand. He pulled 595lbs - didn't Dave Ostlund pull 615 or 635 recently in this manner?

Edited by ClayEdgin

One thing that did stick out in my head was Goerner's deadlift using two fingers from each hand.  He pulled 595lbs - didn't Dave Ostlund pull 615 or 635 recently in this manner?

He sure did (615)! One thing I haven't heard answered is whether or not Goerner used his thumbs on that lift. We did use thumbs for Grip Bash V, by the way.

Edited by EricMilfeld

Eric, I just checked my copy of Goerner the Mighty and it has a picture of his 595lbs deadlift with 2 fingers. Its a black and white picture and not extremely clear but it does appear he is using his thumbs in the lift.

Okay, thanks! I've always wondered about that. That would make David Ostlund's feat all the more amazing.

It certainly was amazing to watch. Even more so if he's bested Goerner!

I have done a 660 regular dead, but that was in January. I have been training thick bar deads since then. I want to get started in the next few weeks on reg bar deads again. Gordon said he will video my next 4-finger dead.

Correction....The lift by Goerner was done with two fingers each hand using no thumb. I was lucky enough to get 552 in the early 90's in this manner. RS

I was lucky enough to get 552 in the early 90's in this manner. RS

Getting within 43.5lbs of any of Goerner's lifts is impressive in my book, especially considering what a genetic anomaly he was. Then again, that picture of you looks awfully similar to Goerner's maybe you two really are related ;)

It appears that the feats, or some of them in GTM cannot be elsewhere verified, and in some cases are incorrect. We have a thread called 'Goerner's birthday' ongoing at ironhistory.com for anyone interested in extreme details.

Gherardo Bonini has been checking European sources to determine what was written about Goerner during Goerner's time.

Some surprises.

How can you tell? It might aswell be a normal grip - the image is pretty fuzzy.

An interesting thing is that the article states that lift beeing only a "demonstration" lift, and nowhere near his max.

I wonder what his weight was when he did his regular 830 lbs deadlift... he looked pretty slender in the pictures...

One lift that I did get (on a bet for a free trip) resulted in pulling on a 2 inch diam. smooth bar in the same 2 finger thumbless manner 530. This was done while standing on a raised block consisting of 2 pieces of 3/4 plywood with a number of sideways 2x4 board spacers (5 inches total height) This was done in the late 80's. RS

That's quite an impressive lift! :bow