Newbie Tips

maidenfan

I decided to add some bending to my wrist work. I got a few bars of Home Depot 3/16" and 1/4". I started at 7" w/3/16" and worked my way down to 5". I used a palms down technique and it seemed fairly easy. My hands are fairly wide so the 5" was a bit more difficult.

I cut a 7" piece of 1/4" and the "easy" stopped. I was barely able to put a kink in the steel with the palms down technique. I switched to the technique I saw in the David Horne video and was able to bend it a bit more.

My question is what should I be doing to progress? Continued with the short 3/16" stuff or go with longer than 7" 1/4 stock? I basically bend once a week at the end of my wrist day (wrist curls and some levering). Any tips would be appreciated.

Morgan

Once you are able to bend the piece of 1/4x7 then start cutting it down into smaller pieces. Cut off about a 1/4 inch at a time.

I'd work harder on the levering and do bending on days when you don't lever. Your wrists will be fresher that way.

You might also want to bridge the gap between 3/16" round and 1/4" round with 3/16" square

Awesome, thanks for the replies. I didnt realize the square 3/16" was tougher than the round, I'll give it a go.