Crown Bolt Co. Bolts

Drassk

I've been eyeing a bolt I bought a few months back for awhile now and finally got up the nerve to give it a go. I thought I was ready and through some miracle I was. Anyways, I think Crown Bolt Co is a reasonably ubiquitous distributor for North America (since they're in California and I bought the bolt at Canadian Tire) so someone here has probably bent the same bolt.

It's a 6x1/4" hex headed grade 2, zinc plated (shiny), and only the last inch is threaded (so it's pretty much a piece of 1/4" round stock). Has anyone bent these who could tell me the relative strength? They come in red-backed packaging in 2-packs (plastic). I was really excited when this went down so I'm hoping it's worth being excited over.

-Bob Garrish

I have bent many of these and also have the grade 5s of the same co. and type. I would rate by feel that these are easier than a IM yellow, but are a good warm-up for the yellow (even tho that is 7" and the crown bolt u speak of is 6") Good bending!

Yeah at 6 inches they are a little shy of a yellow. But it looks like you are on your way! Keep workin and bigger steel will fall for you soon.

So should I go with cutting down rods of 1/4" HRS to progress or are these anywhere near a timber tie?

I'm looking forward to buying a box of TTs when I'm ready just so I can save a bit of cash. The bar stock I buy at hardware stores seems to be a good bit more expensive than a box of 7" ties would be and I can cut them down with the bolt cutters anyways.

the 6" grade 2 bolt is about the strength of a normal tt (give or take a little.) You could volume bend with TTs. Or you could work on cutting down HRS to 5", then to blues/60ds/aluminum or whatever.

Volume bending with tts would give you more of a base to help guard against injury, but if the bolt went down pretty easy or if you are new to bending and expect a bit of a jump in strength the tts might prove to be too easy to give you much or a workout. You could really go either way, but if you end up buying some of the easier TTs they may turn out to be only a good warmup for you.

Personally, I would just cut down 1/4" HRS, but better benders than me have advocated for volume with easy stuff

Drassk,

I looked at bar stock at Cdn Tire this week, but I ended up going to Metal Supermarkets (metalsupermarkets.com) to buy - 3/16" HRS for $0.24/ft, comes in 10' lengths but they'll cut it to fit your vehicle. :)

In Ottawa they're at Sheffield @ Walkley, Toronto there's one at 14th and Warden.

• 2 weeks later...

ORB,

I'm using the 3/16" square stock right now for stuff I cut to length. I'm in Nova Scotia so I won't be going to On to shop anytime soon. My best bend on 1/4" round stock is 8", but I haven't tried anything harder. I'll move up when I'm at 5" on the square 3/16".

AP,

Can you cut down timber ties? That was my plan as I can buy a 50lb box of them and just cut them down as I get better. I find they're cheap compared to bar stock because I haven't found a good hardware store with cheap bar stock within the city yet (Halifax)

Yeah, you can cut the timber ties down. That might be a good idea for you, you could use the tts for volume bending and warmups and use the occational 1/4" HRS cut to lengths to test your strength.

I just know that some TTs can be really easy, and if you've spent $20+ on a 50lb box you'll be stuck with 6" down to 5" (a little harder) of steel that's only good for a warmup for you. I don't know, steel varies a lot so I can't tell where the TTs are compared to what your bending. Try to get a hold of one maybe before you buy the 50lber to see how hard it is.

drassk,

There's a metalsupermarket in Dartmouth;

For more store information, click on the store links below. Dartmouth

(902)468-3144

50 Thornhill Drive

Dartmouth, NS B3B1S1

Floyd Nicholson

50 Thornhill Drive

Dartmouth, NS B3B1S1

Phone: (902)468-3144

Fax: (902)468-3145

Hours:

8:00am-5:00pm

Note - I bought some 3/16" square bar last week, and they only had it in CRS. I'm working my way down to 6" this week.

Yeah, you can cut the timber ties down. That might be a good idea for you, you could use the tts for volume bending and warmups and use the occational 1/4" HRS cut to lengths to test your strength.

I just know that some TTs can be really easy, and if you've spent $20+ on a 50lb box you'll be stuck with 6" down to 5" (a little harder) of steel that's only good for a warmup for you. I don't know, steel varies a lot so I can't tell where the TTs are compared to what your bending. Try to get a hold of one maybe before you buy the 50lber to see how hard it is.

I just started bending today, what is this HRS crap that you guys keep talking about? Is it a type of nail, bolt, etc? And whatever it is, is it something that can be purchased at a hardware store?

It stands for Hot Rolled Steel. Most of the steel in the hardware store will either be HRS or CRS (Cold Rolled Steel). Since you are new to the world of bending, I strongly recommend you go to Bender's website. He has a lot of information on bending. Here is the link:

Bender's Website